Yelling & Serious Coach? Take 'em Or Leave 'em.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Having dealt with "selecting" coaches and being involved with sports for some time now.... it always falls back to one thing. What is best for the kids? If the duo is wrong and you over-committed yourself, that's on you and you own that and have to deal with it. But you will have to deal with it again next year as well if they are indeed wrong and you don't "cut" them now.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
1. You say your dd didn't learn anything in an entire season, did any of the other girls progress?
2. You and the coach argued for 2+ hours after a game.
3. The coach thinks running laps after a game makes for better players.

I am not sure who is right or who is wrong, but if my dd didn't learn a thing in a whole season, and as a board member I got a 2 hour argument over how the girls are treated and the coach thinks running laps is a good way to make better players. I would replace her with my better option. If it turns out to the be the wrong choice promise tol run 15 foul poles.

But if this is about your dd having her feelings hurt and your dd not playing ss or some other BS then you stick with who you have because maybe the tough love is what both you and your dd need.

BTW if you only had 2-3 girls cry by the end of the season I would not necessarily consider that a high number.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have always been a fan of coaches who expect more from their players than the players expect from themselves.....my DD plays volleyball too, and he coach never says a word to any of the players, even when the ball drops between them....it drives me nuts!

Feb 19, 2012
West US
In our rec league, if there are more people desiring to coach compared to positions available, they interview and are selected by committee. It can be as simple as a resume and 15 minute presentation of skills and direction for the team, followed by Q&a session by the board. This removes any question of bias on your part and allows others to get involved/weigh in. Just an idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321