Xeno break-in

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
New bat time, she picked the Xeno out of a lineup.

I've assumed all composites break in the same, 200-250 hits at 1/2 speed off a tee is what we did last time. Planning to do the same again.

I'm curious though, if these bats are "hot out of the wrapper", what if anything does break-in really accomplish.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD has been using the Xeno for 1 1/2 years. She said it was hot out of the wrapper; however, we bought her a 2nd Xeno in the same size this fall. (Her original was out of warranty and we got a good deal on the 2011 model.) She swears the older one is hotter. She'll use the new one for the beginning of practice and her hitting lessons, but reverts to the older one for games.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Unlike other composites, there is no break in on the Xeno. Traditional composites got hotter as the composite fibers flexed and broke down (i.e., provided a greater trampoline effect) following multiple impacts (or alteration) The Xeno's internal disc system acts as a governor that physically limits the amount of compression/rebound (i.e., trampoline effect) to <= permissible association limits from the get go.

Jun 24, 2009
New bat time, she picked the Xeno out of a lineup.

I've assumed all composites break in the same, 200-250 hits at 1/2 speed off a tee is what we did last time. Planning to do the same again.

I'm curious though, if these bats are "hot out of the wrapper", what if anything does break-in really accomplish.
It's good to go out of the wrapper.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would not worry about breaking it in and would just use it right out of the wrapper. New bats are designed to be as hot out of the wrapper as they will be after break in. If a bats gets 'too hot' after break in it runs the risk of being banned for league play.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I would not worry about breaking it in and would just use it right out of the wrapper. New bats are designed to be as hot out of the wrapper as they will be after break in. If a bats gets 'too hot' after break in it runs the risk of being banned for league play.

Yes for the Xeno. No for other composites. Yes and No. Need to brush up on ABI testing!

Jul 26, 2010
The latest generation of bats (bats released as "new" in the last 3 years) do not need to be broken in like the older bats. The primary reason for this is that bat performance has a hard stop, so you're not really going to get a "better" bat from one brand then another brand. What you can get is a bat that is "hot out of the wrapper", and most these days are. The Xeno accomplishes this by having a very elastic bat shell that uses an internal governor (metal disks) to limit its performance. The bats used in international play (like the one Jessica Mendoza swings, though not the actual model sold with her name on it) have the disks removed.

-W

Feb 17, 2012
Bought DD 2012 Xeno yesterday. Took the wrapper off of it last night. She used it today in practice...effortlessly smashing balls into gaps. If she ever learns to use her lower body, she will be blasting balls out of the park. The other girls on the team were amazed at her hitting. I have to be honest...I was a little upset she wasn't putting the balls against the fence.

Our travel team players have CF5, RocketTech, and the Freak. This bat easily outperforms all of those bats. No break-in needed. I'm a believer.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm seriously thinking about buying an Xeno. I'm seeing a lot them at tournaments and I know some girls that have them. My DD currently swings a CF4 Insane 32/22, which she really likes. I was wanting to go with a -9, but they don't make Xeno -9s in the 32" size. The smallest -9 is 33". I'm not sure how the extra length would effect my DD's swing. She never chokes up, so I don't see that as an option. A 32/22 balanced bat is going to swing too light for her.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I'm seriously thinking about buying an Xeno. I'm seeing a lot them at tournaments and I know some girls that have them. My DD currently swings a CF4 Insane 32/22, which she really likes. I was wanting to go with a -9, but they don't make Xeno -9s in the 32" size. The smallest -9 is 33". I'm not sure how the extra length would effect my DD's swing. She never chokes up, so I don't see that as an option. A 32/22 balanced bat is going to swing too light for her.

Try one out first, it's not as balanced as described. Dd's (12yr old) 31/21 has a balance point an inch and half farther toward the end then her 31/22 RT.

She just hit her 2nd ever in game hr with it Monday!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand