WTH? High School Varsity Letter in MarioKart?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
There is no physical activity in esports, but it is coming. The sheer amount of money involved in esports and the number of kids just watching other people play video games is crazy.

Also, I have heard reports of esports coming to the Olympics in some capacity.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Dexterity competition
Who could text the fastest.........................

Jul 2, 2013
I have two friends who have kids on scholarship for esports. One of them was on the inaugural team at his college so he didn't get scholarship money until year two.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There is a big difference in dance, or cheerleading. The girls (sometimes boys) that participate in those activities certainly perform a much higher level of athleticism than Esports. I would consider the people that participate in dance and cheer to be every bit as athletic as the people that play sports that involve a ball.

I would also consider marching band and drama club to require more skill than Esports. Not in the form of athleticism but both marching band and drama club do include physical activity. There is no real physical activity in Esports. That would be my logical argument not to include Esports with the other activities that I mentioned.
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) occurs when the median nerve, which runs from the forearm into the palm of the hand, becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist. The carpal tunnel—a narrow, rigid passageway of ligament and bones at the base of the hand—houses the median nerve and the tendons that bend the fingers.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hand cramp could really take a contestant out.................................

Jan 25, 2022
I've never been a big gamer, but some of the most fun moments of my youth were playing Mario Kart with my friends. That game gets intense. It's amazing how catastrophic a banana peel can be.

My brother loaned me a bunch of old game systems a while back, and I broke out the N64 at a new year's party for some OG Mario Kart action. I had no doubt how it would go. Young and old were flailing away on the joysticks, screaming at each other and feigning strangulation at the end of rounds, and letting the cheating accusations fly. That game is a blast. I would definitely have quit band back in the day (and we DID have letters and jackets, which I avoided) if there had been e-sports. My younger brother was so good at first person shooters that he'd probably be on the E-Mt Rushmore today. It literally led him to bachlor's degree in video game art and design.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My first gaming system was Intellivision. Yes, I am that old. My father got it for me for Christmas back in the early 1980s. I think I still have it at his house.

My girls have the Wii, Wii U, and the Nintendo Switch. The only game I was great at was Super Mario Brothers from 2009. I beat the whole game after only a few weeks. Mario Kart is always fun, but my daughter always blows me away.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My daughter is going to play softball in college. My son, he's a gamer. He actually started an e-sports group at his high school. It is big business and some of the top players make big bucks. There are a lot of kids involved. His new group at school (which he had to do a lot of work to get started) became so big they had to move to a different venue. I don't quite understand it myself, but that doesn't mean much...lol

Jan 25, 2022
My first gaming system was Intellivision. Yes, I am that old. My father got it for me for Christmas back in the early 1980s. I think I still have it at his house.

My girls have the Wii, Wii U, and the Nintendo Switch. The only game I was great at was Super Mario Brothers from 2009. I beat the whole game after only a few weeks. Mario Kart is always fun, but my daughter always blows me away.

It's all about the jump turns in battle mode. Cut those corners!

I got my first NES in 1989 when I was 10. I played it quite a bit with my brother, who was 4. Within a year or so he could beat me in everything. I think he was born in the matrix or something.

There's an Xbox One upstairs but my girls don't play much. The 16 year old will fire up minecraft here and there. We really only have that xbox because I'm a WV native and wanted to play the Fallout game that takes place there. The Wii is only used for the dance games.

I have a hard time identifying with guys my age (and some older) that will sit down and game most evenings. I usually just want to smash the controller on something after 20 minutes of getting my a$$ handed to me by non-player characters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles