Wow!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
I think the numbers I have seen in this thread are off by an order of magnitude. My DD's travel coach has a connection to another top player who just signed with a school after going in the portal and she received 810k plus a full scholarship. For that type of money I totally understand why players would jump ship.

I would agree. I'm personally aware of one that wasn't even in the portal and was offered $100k in incentives above tuition, room, board to come play for another team. It was the collective that reached out to her parents.

She wasn't hardly pitching for her current team. If she is getting that others are getting much more.

Oct 13, 2017
I think the numbers I have seen in this thread are off by an order of magnitude. My DD's travel coach has a connection to another top player who just signed with a school after going in the portal and she received 810k plus a full scholarship. For that type of money I totally understand why players would jump ship.

She must have been a super player to receive that kind of money…difficult for me to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2021

She must have been a super player to receive that kind of money…difficult for me to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Difficult to believe because it isn’t true.

May 17, 2023

One I mentioned was shocking to me, but was absolutely true.

It also wasn't all cash, but included a vehicle, travel vouchers for family, and other incentives that total $100k. All for someone who threw minimal innings this year. So what would a top player be worth?

May 16, 2016
Illinois

I totally understand why a player would leave also if that were true. That is life changing money IMO. On the other hand, that is pretty difficult to believe.

You referring to a pitcher, or a position player?

Jul 19, 2021
these NIL numbers being thrown out are being planted by agents who are trying to build credibility and gain new clients. It’s all BS.

Jun 7, 2016
does anyone know the specifics of the House vs NCAA? does this apply to all three divisions? Other than the familiar names in football and mens basketball, I do not see how all colleges with athletics can shoulder this additional expense to ALL athletes and then maintain compliance with title IX, particularly with the demographic trend in college age cohort. Many D3 schools(not athletic depts) in the NE/mid atlantic are already on knife edge. In my area already, Usciences folded itself in St. Joe U, Uarts recently closed and Cabrini college shut down with Villanova assuming some assets/students. A teammate of DD went to Concordia in NY and school shut down next year.
Seems to me the perhaps the natural evolution may be a "reset" of athletics where colleges opt out of the NCAA model of payment and go to an all "club" model. This may eventually replace the idea of D1, D2, D3. Sure will be interesting to watch, but wow is it going to the wild west for awhile.

Nov 5, 2014
This was 100% not a planted story by an agent. Only way it is not true is if the player and family lied to a long time family friend and confidant.

Without seeing physical evidence i.e. contracts, checks etc.. I can't be 100% sure it is factual but I can be certain where the store came from and the source is 100% legitimate.

May 18, 2019
I'm not saying that's impossible but I'd be skeptical without corroboration on that given the amount of data out there saying it hasn't reached that level. I have specific information that says that is not likely to be true, but like yours, that information is anecdotal from a good source not exhaustive. That said, a Nija bidding war could trump everything. If others have data suggesting those amounts are being paid already, I'd love to see or hear about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travis.goodnight