Would moving fences back...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I don't know if this has been stated, but wouldn't that effect base running because fastpitch does have shorter distance than baseball. So, if a bomb is hit and its deeper, its guranteed to increase doubles or triples, right?

Jul 31, 2015
Mens and womens slow pitch bases are 65' under both ASA and USSSA.
Mens and womens fastpitch are 60'.

Seems like an easier fix to move the bases 5' than to rearchitect fields to accommodate deeper fences (pop-up 4' fences that sag in CF notwithstanding ;))

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Seems like an easier fix to move the bases 5' than to rearchitect fields to accommodate deeper fences (pop-up 4' fences that sag in CF notwithstanding ;))
...and cannot bunt in slowpitch.

Longer base paths =
Longer time for defense to make plays.
Do you want to slow the game down? Or whats your goal?

Prefer the fast game and expectations of explosive quickness on the field.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

It's an easier change. I'm still not sure what it fixes.

Jul 31, 2015
The solution depends on what you see as the problem.

I think of the evolution of the game over the last several decades
- pitching circle moved back, twice
- composite bats
- optic yellow balls
- bigger, more athletic players
- courtesy runners
- double sided 1B
- ITB
- increased enforcement of pitching rules
All favor the offense.

Other than requiring only one pitching foot on the rubber, what changes have favored the defense?
(Don't argue with me about the batter's box; whatever the rule is today it will change next year. Guaranteed.)

When I look on TV I see pro and Olympic softball played on regulation-sized baseball fields modified to Little League standards, with fences just beyond the infield and, at times, a pitching mound sitting between the circle and 2B. I see six - and sometimes up to nine - full-grown adults occupying an infield space meant for 12 year olds; it looks crowded. I see infield errors increasing as the level of play increases. I see a playing field that does not reflect the progress of the game and, especially, its players.

Moving the bases back by 5 feet hopefully would not substantially slow the game. But it would help to even things out a bit, so the defense doesn't have to be near perfect to make routine plays, and so the SS doesn't look foolish trying to field an 85mph EV grounder. Puts a bit - and just a bit - of slack back in the system. Takes away some - but not all - of the power of the slap and promotes the power of the bunt. Obviously, it won't change or prevent check swing HRs, but that's not the core problem as I see it.

I guess what I'm getting at is that moving the bases back 5' is much easier and costs way less than moving the fences if you're looking to put forth a better product. Works within the confines the existing infrastructure. Costs almost nothing. Easily reversible. And, it's only 5 feet.

In a perfect world, both the bases and the fences would move. And there'd be more seating. And billboards. Teams would charge more. And sell beer. We'd have bobblehead night and T-shirt giveaways. There'd be minor leagues and substantial money paid to players. And the MLB would finally have some competition.

Jun 2, 2019
Absolutely. Push fences back AND lengthen the base path. The sport would begin selecting for better overall athletes with a more open field configuration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma