Would moving fences back...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Instead of batters hitting more home runs from the changes in rules and equiptment ...

Would a deeper fence
Help/Hurt pitchers?
Make defense harder?
Still gives Hitters same opportunity for batting averages?
*Add your own _______.

Perhaps pollers from other thread can help add to discussion...
Who has the advantage had an interesting turnout...
Lets see where this goes :)

Screenshot_2021-08-30-07-16-31-1.png

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
At a certain point a deeper fence thats too deep would take away outfield plays at bases.

imo a deeper fence
While it could calm down some of the abundance of home runs...
Cant get too deep.

210' all around seems good.
220' max to keep the outfield in the game of shutting runners down.

Like that outfielders can throw all the way home also!

Would not want outfielders roles taken away from fastpitch.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We have all played on fields with no fence, certainly changes the game. Using these experiences for my thoughts.

Since everything is about DD start there.

DD pitched a bunch and no one went yard on her. Batting she never went yard either but bounced ball off the fence a bunch of times. So DD pitching I want a fence, her batting I do not want a fence.

St. Louis cardinals used to have the biggest OF in baseball. They were hard to beat on their home field because they had 3 fliers in their OF where other Teams had some, pro level, non athletes out there.

I think it all evens out at the end. Coaches and more importantly players will figure out whatever you throw at them.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I would push 'em back farther. Many schools already have 220' CF fences. While some schools are 190' in the corners. I can't find the clip, but pushing the fences further back would prevent the check swing HR (UT Softbal) we saw this year. I would propose 220' corners with 240' CF. These girls are bigger stronger, the bats are hotter, and better trained than players of the past. There would be more doubles and triples. When your hitted ball hits the top of the fence that only results in a single, that's a problem. There will also be more plays at 2B with players attempting to beat out the throw. OF's will need to be faster as well. With more ground to cover, some of those line drive outs in the gaps will be tougher to get to, yielding more exciting plays.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I would push 'em back farther. Many schools already have 220' CF fences. While some schools are 190' in the corners. I can't find the clip, but pushing the fences further back would prevent the check swing HR (UT Softbal) we saw this year. I would propose 220' corners with 240' CF. These girls are bigger stronger, the bats are hotter, and better trained than players of the past. There would be more doubles and triples. When your hitted ball hits the top of the fence that only results in a single, that's a problem. There will also be more plays at 2B with players attempting to beat out the throw. OF's will need to be faster as well. With more ground to cover, some of those line drive outs in the gaps will be tougher to get to, yielding more exciting plays.
Dont think Batting averages would decline
But considering 2nd base is already scoring position...
Could stimulate the need for better defense's.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
How about Joe Rogers Field dimensions. I don't know exactly what they are but they are 240/250ish I believe.
Super tall fence.
Field used for multiple forms of softball men's, womens and co-ed

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thinking about many public fields around so cal
190 & 200 are common.

Not certain of h.s. fields.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Instead of batters hitting more home runs from the changes in rules and equiptment ...

Would a deeper fence
Help/Hurt pitchers?
Make defense harder?
Still gives Hitters same opportunity for batting averages?
*Add your own _______.
Deeper fences (depending how deep) should suppress home runs, but it could actually increase offense overall.

The Colorado Rockies play in one of the largest parks in baseball. While the humidor has led to fewer home runs (6th in homers), it is by far the best park for hitters.

1630344092681.png

It's hard to say exactly if it would help/hurt pitchers. It depends how far you move the fences back, how many extra hits that leads to, etc.

It would definitely make defense more important since outfielders would have more ground to cover. But it all depends how much larger you make the field. There's probably a range where you'd move the fences back which would suppress homers but also not make defense (much) more difficult, so you could have lower offensive output.

May 6, 2015
possibly raise heightwise but not move them significantly, less HR, but lots of balls in play, but OF still in position to throw runners out and even throw directly to HP. might generate lots of action.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes