Why do some pay all this $$$ for private lessons???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Ok Mudbug.

Section 12. Eligible Transfer Students.
Except as otherwise provided in Section 13 below, the following transfer students are eligible:
a. The student has no athletic record in the previous twelve months in any sport

We moved from a school who had no athletics. So we had no 'record' to worry about.

Next practice and season times. I have never heard of limitations on how many hours a day. ( if so I wish i had known back when I played ball cause my coach worked us to death ) They do have a heat and cold temperature ban on prac. Coaches CAN be in contact here after Dec. But they can not hold prac or any 'live game type' instruction. ( which means he can't work on a field ) With the exception of pitchers and catchers. ( so that works out great for me )

Here is 6 month schedule
Conditioning starts Dec. Pitching-catching-batting cage-soft toss-weightlifting-running
First day of official prac is usually 1st week in February
First game 1st week in March
45 regular season games and 2 regional HS tourneys ( they are set up just like a travel ball tourney format and they don't count against your season record ) and then district/regional/state playoffs
Season ends last week in May

I also knew before hand the HS baseball/softball programs had been saving money for years to build an indoor facility.( that's probably why they charge softball $550 and baseball $750 per player but the kids get most of that money from local sponsors, you just got to get out there and get it ) They break ground this spring and should be ready by the fall. They will also rent it out to traveling teams during the HS off season. So that is awesome for me.

I never meant to imply HS ball is equal to travel. But we have an excellent HS program here. And again if you look up Cat and Jennie and so on and so forth they all played HS ball and travel. There are some great HS programs out there and some not so great. You have to look into your own situation and make your own decision.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
I did state 'over' 20 years, Guy that grew up here said this is his 24th year, so I missed my rounding by 1 year. I hope you can forgive that big mistake. I also stated he said 'close' to 100 kids. The coach is 60+ years old, so when he said '100' I was guessing low with 80. I do know for a fact the 4 years I have been watching he has sent 8 kids to play college ball. Seen his BIG smiling face in the paper at signing. You can check my original post for accuracy.

Keep paying all you want. I'd put my daughter pitching and hitting against yours any day.

Yeah, your dd probably would fare better hitting & pitching against mine since my kids are 10 & 12 respectively. Of course I wouldn't expect you to know my dd's ages since I don't boast about their mad skills on the internet.:rolleyes:

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Touche, Dusty. Sounds like GD needs to replace Candrea at Arizona, huh?

Haha. Candrea is a one in a million coach. I am not. But I am very proud of all my players. I only have 2 that go to private instruction. But all my coaches played D1 ball. So we have a vast amount of general ball knowledge and technics. There is nothing better than beating up on teams that spend 1000's of dollars on private lessons.

Jul 21, 2009
To also answer the original question...

Hired coaches know what to look for. I've been catching for my DD during lessons for a year and a half now. I STILL can't see the spin on the ball (unless it's one I have put tape on). I know the overall picture of a pitcher's progression, but I can't spot the finer details. Same with hitting. I'm basically learning as my daughter learns.

Also, some girls will take training better from someone outside the family.:p

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
socalasablue

ooooook!! Are you honestly telling me that you, and no one that you play with, ever talk good old friendly smack at the ball park. I seriously doubt it. You never sit around with the guys and ramble on about your favorite ball team whether it be softball, football, or MLB. It's all in good fun, it's not like we are cussing at the other teams.

Half this game is phycological, you have to get in your opponents heads. We are never mean, but always intimidating. We have made lots of friends over the years from many diff states. Going out to eat with the other teams after the tourneys is pretty normal for us, maybe setting up a few scrimmages together too. It's just a bunch of crazy dad's living through their daughters abilities. If you don't relax and have a little fun, why would we spend so much time in this sport.

SamG,

Try taking a sharpie (or some other permanent market) and coloring the laces on the ball (and a little around the laces, nice and thick), it may help you pick up the spin. I picked that trick up from Denny Tincher.

May 12, 2008
GD,

When you are the ng at a ball park, don't know anyone and not sure if there aren't some coaches and teams at a much higher level than you, is it your habit to start right off with smack talking? :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
GD,

When you are the ng at a ball park, don't know anyone and not sure if there aren't some coaches and teams at a much higher level than you, is it your habit to start right off with smack talking? :)

That's a good question. I've never seen any at a 'much higher level'. But I'll let you know if that ever happens. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach