Why do pitchers want to be pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2020
Why do pitchers want to be pitchers? šŸ¤”

Is it a personality type?
Center of attraction?
Leadership thing?
My dad/mom said i had to?

Whats the deal with pitchers? šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø :)
Exciting. Your involved in every play. You control the pace of the game.
I know in our case both girls 1st year were placed in the OF. They were bored out of their minds and wanted to stop playing. I donā€™t remember if I suggested or they asked to try pitching.
Anyway, they both gave it a shot and enjoyed pitching. They play other positions (not outfield) but prefer to pitch. I would say hitting is next favorite thing to do followed by secondary positions. (MI, C, 1st).

Aug 24, 2018
I asked DD this question today. She said that there is nothing in the world like striking someone out. Just watching them flail at her changeup or hear that 3rd strike call is worth all the work and hard times.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Iā€™ve asked before and DD couldnā€™t really give one reason. She fell into it because her and another girl were the only ones who showed any relative consistency early on.

I think it started with getting some extra attention and praise. Then she figured out she is good at it and thatā€™s helped her want to continue with it. She has stated she likes the feeling of making batters look ā€œdumbā€. And, like others have mentioned, sheā€™s one that wants to be in a position thatā€™s involved with every play.

I believe the feeling of success on the mound is higher than almost any other position. But it also has the lowest lows......as sheā€™s found.

DD is not one striving to be in the limelight but has no problem being there. She has a confident personality without being type ā€œAā€. Could be a part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I believe the feeling of success on the mound is higher than almost any other position. But it also has the lowest lows......as sheā€™s found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Often pitchers parents also have unique attributes.... :)
....well maybe that could be said of parents in general viewing their kids!...
Hmmm? Or are pitcher's parents a little pitcher'ish also??!!

Just a fun question šŸ’ā˜ŗ

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was best fielder in 8U so she pitched a couple innings every game. Strikes were hard to find.

Mostly DD has been told she can not pitch and should not pitch, myself included.

She just had a habit of winning and was annoyed when someone told her what she could not do.

If you told her she sucked at SS, she would be a SS.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Often pitchers parents also have unique attributes.... :)
....well maybe that could be said of parents in general viewing their kids!...
Hmmm? Or are pitcher's parents a little pitcher'ish also??!!

Just a fun question šŸ’ā˜ŗ
This has some truth to it. Very few pitchers can stick it out without a parents support. Someone has to sit on that bucket in a cold un heated pole barn in Michiganā€™s February getting ready for spring.
A catchers dad can throw balled up socks at her in the living room and call it good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse