Why do pitchers want to be pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
At the younger ages, 8U/10U, we just kind of fell into it. One day, she just said she would like to try it and I stupidly said OK. I was just asking my DD why she wanted to do it. She said that early on, the pitcher got the most action. All the balls went back to the pitcher and she got to make the outs to first base.

As things progressed, she grew to like the feeling of controlling the game and said that it feels good to throw strikes and put the ball where you want to. Knowing that everyone is relying on you to help them win is something she has come to embrace. She also said she enjoys what the game teaches her, especially how to deal with adversity and failure.

She’s way more mature than I ever was at 14!! LOL. I am kind of with @whiporee. At least she is getting something out of it, it’s mostly driven me half mad, into the poor house, and to a life of binge drinking.

May 27, 2013
I started pitching when I was about 9. When I played rec, the divisions were Grades 1-3 and 4-8. When I moved to the older group, I was in awe of the older girls who pitched. They seemed to throw so hard and controlled the game. It became my goal to be like them. I used to go out and pitch on my own to a box drawn on a brick wall, for at least an hour every day. I became obsessed and once given the chance in a game, never looked back. I kept just trying to throw as hard as I could (sling-shot style) with pinpoint accuracy. I used to get a kick out of the other girls jumping out of the box as I‘d pitch it low and inside at their knees for a strike. It was a pretty cool feeling to be very good at something.

Dd, on the other hand, was encouraged to do it by me. She just took to it very quickly and it has stuck with her ever since. It was always her role from a very young age. I don’t think she knew any better. 🤣

May 21, 2018
Good question. DD hates attention and is a total nervous wreck on the field, but has always wanted to pitch. I even tried to dissuade her, but she seems in it for the long haul at this point.

She did try catching.......for about 10 minutes.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
That sounds more like a catcher ;)
That's funny because I call her a closet catcher. She caught a little in 10U and for her JR High team last year before C19 shut it down when she wasn't pitching. She will catch warmup/bullpen for her fellow pitchers every chance she gets. She'll get hers in early and quick just so she can.

This year on her JR High team she is one of only 2 on the team who play TB and they both will be the only pitchers. They have an agreement between them that they will catch for each other if none of the other girls are able to learn.

I think if she ever decides not to pitch anymore, she'll take up catching, but right now I don't think that is even an thought in her mind.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I have no idea. My DD is quiet and doesn't like attention, but somehow she ended up a pitcher.

I think it's the competition, and it really feels good to be great at something. Something about pitcher vs batter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My daughter is the same way. Does not like to be center of attention but is somehow okay with being a pitcher. She thrives on competition though.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
My DD saw at about age 9 the pitchers got the most face time on TV. She said "I wanna pitch for Alabama." Less than ideal genetics (5' 2") and unwillingness to be THAT dedicated steered her to be a top pitcher in her D3 conference.
Pitching fit in with her diva persona. Always found her way to front and center on team photos.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
First, she liked softball. She liked the pace of the game, hanging out between innings, the whole thing.

My DD#1 wanted to pitch. She loved "the pitching game"...throwing the ball and getting batters out. It was fun, and she was good at it.

She became a pitcher because that is what is required in order to pitch. If someone said, "And you have to take out the garbage every day in order to pitch", she would have done it.

The rest of "being a pitcher"--the center of attention, the leader, etc., is something that she grew into because that is what it took to get to pitch.

Successful pitchers are a little bit wacky. They are the center of the entire game. They get way too much credit when the team wins and way too much blame when the teams loses.

DD#3 was actually more talented at pitching than DD#1. However, she didn't love pitching. She didn't become a pitcher, and, much to my dismay, survived and thrived without pitching and softball.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01