who should break in a new bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 5, 2024
I'm sorry if this has been asked a bunch already, but I struggled finding an answer. My daughter is 10 and getting a new composite bat. Should I break in her bat to make sure the fibers are adequately broke in? Or should she break it in herself for her swing speeds? she's not a very strong hitter at 10 and I'm unsure if a 10 year old would break in the bat properly?

any insight into this would be helpful.

thanks

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
She should do it. Do what the manufacturer recommends on the packaging. Typically, it's rotate the bat after each swing at 25% for 50 swings. And then the same for 50% and 75%. You can do it yourself, but it will also teach her to respect her equipment a little more if she does it.

Nov 23, 2021
SC
i had my DD do the break in process on a demarini, but then when she wasnt home i took some swings to really loosen up the fibers.

Sep 19, 2018
She should do it. Do what the manufacturer recommends on the packaging. Typically, it's rotate the bat after each swing at 25% for 50 swings. And then the same for 50% and 75%. You can do it yourself, but it will also teach her to respect her equipment a little more if she does it.
I went onto the Easton site not too long ago. I could not find any "break in" instructions. Do you have any links? Other brands work too.

I know that once used a good bit, bats perform better. I have not however ever seen any warranty info indicating a proper break in method. Nor have I seen any studies that show less bat breakage if a bat is swung at 25% for the first XXX swings and 50% for another XXXX swings.

just wondering.

thanks
cmn

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I went onto the Easton site not too long ago. I could not find any "break in" instructions. Do you have any links? Other brands work too.

I know that once used a good bit, bats perform better. I have not however ever seen any warranty info indicating a proper break in method. Nor have I seen any studies that show less bat breakage if a bat is swung at 25% for the first XXX swings and 50% for another XXXX swings.

just wondering.

thanks
cmn
It's not in the warranty section. It's on the main page. DeMarini, Louisville, and Marucci include a warranty registration form with their bats that explains the break-in process. The links below from Easton and Marucci also explain the process and why they feel it's needed.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I'll admit it....we've never once searched or followed official break-in procedures. I've always just handed it to DD and said "swing away".

DD tends to rotate the bat some in-between swings as part of her "process". So by accident, we may have loosely followed the right way to do it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I thought they were hot out of the wrapper??
Just get it rolled by a professional roller with proper equipment! 😆
Also, it take a lot more than 50 swings to break in a bat. Probably closer to 250.

Sep 19, 2018
It's not in the warranty section. It's on the main page. DeMarini, Louisville, and Marucci include a warranty registration form with their bats that explains the break-in process. The links below from Easton and Marucci also explain the process and why they feel it's needed.

thank you for the links.
cmn