Which team to coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2009
Young girls have a way of tugging at our heartstrings. While she may believe she has good reasons for making choices such as which travel team to play for, often those reasons are shortsighted. I'm not suggesting parents make those decisions based on only which team will get her a Pac-10 scholarship. Hopefully, we as parents make better decisions considering all factors.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
FWIW- DD is 9 right now. my decision as to which team to go with will be for both of us for 3 years. I have received some excellent input here and I thank you all. There are no wrong suggestions.

I believe that it will be a better experience for her to be part of a team that wins and loses as a team (even if .500 or less is the best they can hope for in the first year) rather than to play on a daddyball team where winning is more important than growth. It doesn't bother her to see the other coaches kids getting favored treatment, but it bothers me to see other kids denied the opportunity to excel in favor of a limited few.

Ultimately, DD will be happy with whichever team she goes to. She loves to play and I want to encourage that as best I can.

Also, she was worrying about trying to decide which team to go to, it relieved her when I told her it will be my decision and she doesn't have to sweat it. She still is unsure about which team she prefers, but the load is off her shoulders. she won't be stepping on anyone's toes.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
That's probably the best reason for you to make the decision -- to relieve her of the burden.

I like your thoughts overall. Play where you can get the most development and the best team experience, not where you can win the most trophies. Nice when the two coincide. But if you have to choose, I agree with your choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06