When is the best time to move a kid from rec to travel ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Thanks for the thoughtful insights and taking the time to respond.
Following up- Her feelings on the subject are that she does not want to stay at the current level. She wants to try what she calls select softball teams or if not that move up to the next level.She is a little nervous about playing with older girls though. In fairness to little league , her motives are not just about competition. She had some horrid experiences this past season that really tested and have shaken her love of the sport and have amplified all the problems she saw with it...then too she is 10yrs old...traveling just sounds exciting to her.

In soccer, we are still content with where she is, as is she. While it is a rec team, it is a pretty good one and with a coach that really works them so she has been steadily growing unlike softball where its been like spinning wheels.Basketball is more a new development and still just in the exploring stage and there are other sports and hobbies as well as scholastic pursuits(very blessed).

From what I have researched so far, there are a few travel teams of note in the area and the costs and logistics seem a bit overwhelming . I also have other kids to consider. Thus my question,when is the best time. However,my question probably should be more how late can we wait before jumping into that travel team boat with out adverse consequences for her(should she want to go far in this sport). She truly has a gift, but as some mentioned that only gets you so far and if you are not careful you can get passed by. To this point her achievement has been on her gift and my coaching her up on the side. I don't know how much longer that formula will work for her though, with out better quality coaching and competition on her teams.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2013
Great question Jeff. I'm in a similar situation. I have other kids and sports to consider. I started guesting dd at 12 after the rec season ended. She did well because she was willing to put in the work. She still enjoys vball too. On the flip side, I have seen great teammates of hers that changed at 10 burnout or very well and they are 14 now.

Before we made the change I took her to see some high level travel ball tournaments so she could see it for herself. She then committed to putting in the work. I think thats the key whatever the age. We r still on our journey so we will see how it turns out. Best of luck and I will listen to the other answers because I have a 9 year old playing also.

Jul 2, 2013
12U is when travel ball should be considered seriously.

The age brackets under this, do not mean nearly as much. Forget about who you think she is, or could be. 12U is where serious softball starts.

Where she falls at 12U does not matter much either. She will either elevate ... or not. To be a great softball player, DD has to dominate the 12U game. It does not take long as the players are young.

After 12U ... it becomes a big girls game. Some go thru 14U, some jump to 16U. But the jist is the same. Get in travel at 12U and become a player in the real "youth" game. Then figure out how to do the same in the "big girls" game.

There are really only 2 levels in under 18 softball, in my opinion. 12U and 18U.

Mar 26, 2013
My daughter just finished her little league softball season and I am trying to weigh the options for next year(or sooner) for her. ... The softball problem lies mostly with the lack of quality coaching in little league and the fact that she was one of the top talents in her bracket this year with the only ones close being a year older and all moving up next year by virtue of age.
Have you looked at playing in an ASA rec league? ASA is stronger in many areas, although I don't know about Portland. She would be in the 12U group with 11-13yo girls.

From what I have researched so far, there are a few travel teams of note in the area and the costs and logistics seem a bit overwhelming . I also have other kids to consider.
As coach james posted, there are different levels of TB. The high-level teams do require more of a commitment. I'm confident there are teams in your area that span the gap between rec and high-level TB. Some teams purposely operate with a schedule that allows girls to play multiple sports. Travel teams usually hold tryouts in August.

Rec leagues provide a starting point and players outgrow them at different times depending on their ability and the strength of the league. You need to recognize when that happens and move to the next level to further her development and see how she stacks up against her peers. In the process, it will become more difficult to play multiple sports and decisions will have to be made on what to drop. Good luck!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
From what I have researched so far, there are a few travel teams of note in the area and the costs and logistics seem a bit overwhelming . I also have other kids to consider.

That makes it a tough question to answer. Sounds like she's ready. If she senses that she would want to play, then she's probably right. She's ready to play. ...

However, I'm surprised to hear there are no travel teams of note in Portland. I'm on the other coast, but softball is pretty advanced on the west coast, and Portland is not a small town in the Rockies. Surely someone can direct you to a suitable team in that area.

Have you looked at playing in an ASA rec league? ASA is stronger in many areas, although I don't know about Portland. She would be in the 12U group with 11-13yo girls.

As coach james posted, there are different levels of TB. The high-level teams do require more of a commitment. I'm confident there are teams in your area that span the gap between rec and high-level TB. Some teams purposely operate with a schedule that allows girls to play multiple sports. Travel teams usually hold tryouts in August.

Rec leagues provide a starting point and players outgrow them at different times depending on their ability and the strength of the league. You need to recognize when that happens and move to the next level to further her development and see how she stacks up against her peers. In the process, it will become more difficult to play multiple sports and decisions will have to be made on what to drop. Good luck!

Have looked a little at ASA rec and from what I have heard it suffers the same challenges as little league...have not verified that though. My biggest concern is getting some good coaching...heck even some decent coaching would be a nice improvement. As much as I enjoy helping/teaching her and my knowledge and ego certainly make me feel I can still offer her a great deal in that regard,as her Dad I think it would be better if I could be more a support and guide for her...rather then her only reliable resource from which to learn and improve. Beyond that, having better competition on other teams as well as her own should be a healthy push for her. Mostly though, I look at her potential and just don't want her to fall way behind to players like herself simply cause I didn't see fit to give her the chance to explore her gift.After all I constantly remind her that her gifts and edge are much like getting a head start in the 100meter sprint she has a 30 meter lead but if she doesn't fight to keep that lead it can disappear in a flash.

That makes it a tough question to answer. Sounds like she's ready. If she senses that she would want to play, then she's probably right. She's ready to play. ...

However, I'm surprised to hear there are no travel teams of note in Portland. I'm on the other coast, but softball is pretty advanced on the west coast, and Portland is not a small town in the Rockies. Surely someone can direct you to a suitable team in that area.

I am still learning the ropes in terms of finding these teams and how to get a feel for if they are the right fit or not. Of the few I have looked at so far...most are not very close in terms of practice locations etc...and 1 or two seem to really be into traveling out of state or across the country which even if she is ready for...lol not sure I am...least wise that often.There are a few try outs I have seen posted and am thinking about trying what another thread suggested of taking her to a few to get a feel for them and where she might be with this...well least wise the ones that don't charge you to tryout

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Find out where some local tourneys are being held. Both A and B. Go to a couple talk to some coaches. Explain what you are looking for. Someone somewhere will know a team who fits your needs and budget. My dd is a 93 she has played travel since she was 8 (also played other school and rec level sports) the most I paid for her to be on a team was $600. And the least was zero for 3 years due to good fund raisers. This is just the team fees. But travel ball does not have to mean plane tickets and tourneys every weekend. Talk to some locals and you will get an idea of what is out there

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The correct answer is "it depends", but I would recommend moving to travel ball at 10U - no later than 12U. There are different levels of TB, and some of the lower levels (C, low B) are conducive to playing other sports. My DD used to play TB-B and AAU basketball at the same time, but it made for a hectic schedule. Once you start playing TB-A it will become year round and difficult to participate in other sports.

Mar 26, 2013
Have looked a little at ASA rec and from what I have heard it suffers the same challenges as little league...have not verified that though. My biggest concern is getting some good coaching...heck even some decent coaching would be a nice improvement. ...
The coaching during the regular rec spring season is often hit and miss because there aren't enough good coaches for all the teams. In my experience, the players with ability do most of their development during the all star and fall ball seasons.

I am still learning the ropes in terms of finding these teams and how to get a feel for if they are the right fit or not. Of the few I have looked at so far...most are not very close in terms of practice locations etc...
What are your expectations? FWIW, I'd say "close" is within 30 minutes drive each way. Many drive further...

There are a few try outs I have seen posted and am thinking about trying what another thread suggested of taking her to a few to get a feel for them and where she might be with this...
That sounds good, but you really need to do some homework on the teams before tryouts because she will probably want to join. Get as much info as you can about your local TB teams from parents whose kids are playing TB - they can warn you about teams to avoid and might be able to recommend teams that fit what you're seeking. I really recommend ONLY attending tryouts for teams you would consider joining.

Coaching should be your first concern at that age, so watch some teams practice for comparison purposes. Most TB teams have a website or a facebook page where you can find their schedule.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234