When is it time for a new glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I’m just curious and this might be helpful for some folks. Why would you go for the Pro Preferred over the HoH? From what I understand, correct me if I’m wrong, PP uses kip leather?
Yes, the Pro Preferred uses kip leather, which my daughter prefers over the Steerhide of the HOTH. I find the tighter grain to be better, especially for pitchers. Also, the padding in the Pro Preferred is more substantial and lasts longer, which then helps the glove itself retain its shape for more time.

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. You cannot go wrong with either one. The biggest issue choosing a Pro Preferred is they're only custom made for softball. While you can buy a baseball version off the rack, that's not the case with the softball versions, so the price is definitely higher than the HOH.

Yes, the Pro Preferred uses kip leather, which my daughter prefers over the Steerhide of the HOTH. I find the tighter grain to be better, especially for pitchers. Also, the padding in the Pro Preferred is more substantial and lasts longer, which then helps the glove itself retain its shape for more time.

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. You cannot go wrong with either one. The biggest issue choosing a Pro Preferred is they're only custom made for softball. While you can buy a baseball version off the rack, that's not the case with the softball versions, so the price is definitely higher than the HOH.
I appreciate your reply. We ordered her mitt with the leather pad and stiff option. I'd read beforehand that with that option they use more substantial leather etc. It was STIFF, and took forever to break in. But here we are several years later, and it still have its shape and looks great. If a Pro Preferred is stiffer than that.... holy smokes lol.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I appreciate your reply. We ordered her mitt with the leather pad and stiff option. I'd read beforehand that with that option they use more substantial leather etc. It was STIFF, and took forever to break in. But here we are several years later, and it still have its shape and looks great. If a Pro Preferred is stiffer than that.... holy smokes lol.
Ours is a glove, not a catcher's mitt, so it might've broken in a little quicker because of that. Whenever you order custom from Rawlings, they always give you three options on how much breaking in you need to do. I took the least amount of player break-in because I wanted it in game shape quickly.

I can imagine a new Pro Preferred catcher's mitt with the least factory break-in would take about 17 years to get game ready. I've been trying to break-in my daughter's Nokona catcher's mitt for about a year now, and it's still not where she wants it. At this rate, she'll be done with college before it's ready.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I’m just curious and this might be helpful for some folks. Why would you go for the Pro Preferred over the HoH? From what I understand, correct me if I’m wrong, PP uses kip leather?
This is really not an answer, just me talking. I’d say since I joined here I’ve owned close to 100 gloves, just guessing?

I’ve never owned a Pro Preferred or a A2K, and that’s nothing against either of those two.

I’ve just always been a other side of the tracks, rough & tough kinda guy, and to me that’s what HOH & A2000 gloves are, just tough, simple, and durable. Not fancy and refined like the upper end Kip gloves. Again, just me.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
This is really not an answer, just me talking. I’d say since I joined here I’ve owned close to 100 gloves, just guessing?

I’ve never owned a Pro Preferred or a A2K, and that’s nothing against either of those two.

I’ve just always been a other side of the tracks, rough & tough kinda guy, and to me that’s what HOH & A2000 gloves are, just tough, simple, and durable. Not fancy and refined like the upper end Kip gloves. Again, just me.
I'm doing some math in my head, as I tend to do as a CFP, and I'm wondering if that many gloves counts as an addiction? 🤣🤣🤣

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
You’re getting there, if it’s a strong marriage you guys will make it! ;)
I learned a few years ago to have the bats shipped to my office whenever possible to hide the evidence. I also taught my girls to never tell Mom they got a new bat.

Yeah, I'm doomed after they go to college. I lose my buffer.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD loved her glove, bats not so much. Try to take her glove be prepared for battle. We accedently lost 2 to upgrade her a little bit in size and quality. She is happy with her current glove which she will have for rest of her life.

Think we bought it in 14U.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00