When is it time for a new glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2021
I started this since DD's glove is 3 1/2 years old now. Well over 300 games. It is the only glove she has had her entire time in TB. It's a Rawlings LA that ceased being white a very long time ago. I fully relaced it a year and a half ago. At that point it would still hold itself open. Now it doesn't, but still holds a pocket when laid down. Still plays well. Balls aren't popping out or blowing through it. She plays OF and SS now, used to be mostly P and 3B.

I am holding out until we get more of a sense of where she will be spending most of her fielding time (IF or OF) and if she commits what brand they use, so it may be a Christmas gift. I am an equipment nerd so I have the "itch" constantly, and I know with this crowd I don't need an excuse.

Dec 19, 2021
Let’s hear your DD, and glove situation?
Posted above. Figured I would let the thread develop a bit before posting.

Frankly I am shocked how long the LA has lasted, given some of the comments here, but she has taken good care of it and it is dry here.

The hard part is trying to figure out the style. There is a Rawlings outlet in town, so a visit soon may be in order.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

Frankly I am shocked how long the LA has lasted, given some of the comments here, but she has taken good care of it and it is dry here.

The hard part is trying to figure out the style. There is a Rawlings outlet in town, so a visit soon may be in order.
The LA isn't that bad, if you take care of it. My daughter used her catcher's mitt until this spring when the palm padding wasn't enough to catch her sister anymore. She had used since she got it in January 2019. Not too shabby for something I paid $140. Her previous mitt was an Akadema, which broke in after two days, and it broke down after two months.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

I’ve got to turn in, we’ll continue tomorrow.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
A year before you will need one.
This, or the thought behind it is really good advice, of course this doesn't apply to me, but the guy / dad who buys a glove once every 4 or 5 years. Especially if you've found "the one".....that size and pattern that's just perfect for your DD! Stock up!! ;)

Feb 24, 2022
We got a new glove for my daughter last January (middle of the road Rawlings, nothing special). Her old one was well broken in, but starting to get mis-shaped due to being stuffed in and out of her bag for years (it was 3 years old). Also, my daughter started playing more outfield (prior to that she played SS), so I wanted to get a size that would work for infield and outfield. I started breaking it in at home and she used it for most of Winter workouts and it was good to go for the Spring season.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
DD was/is? (I dunno anymore) a catcher who played the summer tourney season in a corner OF spot during must-win games. She currently lacks the arm strength to the control the running game, and she kind of seems okay with it. She says her body feels better and her hitting overall has gotten better as the innings behind the plate have dropped.

I'd like to continue to work with her in the infield as well as improve her OF skills. She currently has a 12-inch floppy Easton, which she's had for the last 2.5 years. Looking for suggestions on length, type of glove that would fit more of a utility need.

Thanks in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom