What's your DD's second position?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
DD (just turned 15), and is a 3rd baseman. She really doesn't have a second position...played outfield in 2 games this year. She isn't fast (3.3 home to first). Is there a second position she should be working on consistently in practice to prepare for college?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I dont see a lot of really good OF and where she plays 3B I'm thinking she has the arm for it. also, as she gets older, OF becomes more and more important - but it's a big change from the hot corner. Work on OF with her, drop step, tracking flies. hell, have her stand in the OFR while you hit balls in her general direction just so she can relax and get a sense of how the ball moves on it's way out there.

Oct 10, 2011
I dont see a lot of really good OF and where she plays 3B I'm thinking she has the arm for it. also, as she gets older, OF becomes more and more important - but it's a big change from the hot corner. Work on OF with her, drop step, tracking flies. hell, have her stand in the OFR while you hit balls in her general direction just so she can relax and get a sense of how the ball moves on it's way out there.

Thanks Obbay, she played outfield at 14U because the coaches DD played 3rd LOL! She's at 18U A now and the coach wants his faster girls out there. Funny thing is, the only full game she played in the outfield due to an injury, she got the MVP (and trust me, it wasn't her hitting that game:) Her HS coach said she'll never see the outfield:(

May 31, 2012
DD is 11yo. She's a pitcher. Last season she pitched about 50-60% innings. Split the rest of the time between rf and 2nd. Occassionally played SS.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd has played everything except 3rd base. On her travel team this past season she was 50% pitcher, 40% short and 10% catcher. On her HS team she was 95% outfield. Her best position is probably 1st base.

As a side note my dd plays 16U and is a left hander. So frankly I wasn't all that happy about the SS because she has never really been trained to play it, she can make the plays. But its never been a spot she has practiced at, whenever she has had to play ss its because someone else got hurt or didn't work out. She did surprisingly well at the play to her right and making the throw to first. But she doesn't have an understanding of the nuances there. So she didn't always know which base to cover on which play. But she did surprise the heck out of several teams.

Dec 20, 2012
Cheerleader/ motivational speaker/ team B@#&h/ coach harrasser.... oh you mean on the field. When she is not pitching she would be the relief pitcher waiting to be called in the game!

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Primary this year was bench, secondary was OF, third was catcher (when the #1 finally told the coach she was tired of being the only behind the plate).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz