What would you do ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2010
We played 16U this weekend. Won 2-1, lost 8-1, lost 2-0. First tournament of the year. DD pitched pretty good but team didn't hit well at all. Opposing pitching not overwhelming, they just weren't mentally "on". DD didn't bat. I think they should play more HS/16U tournaments. Almost all of them play Varsity so they have faced older competition. Most of Team are 01's, two 02's and an 03.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We played 16U this weekend. Won 2-1, lost 8-1, lost 2-0. First tournament of the year. DD pitched pretty good but team didn't hit well at all. Opposing pitching not overwhelming, they just weren't mentally "on". DD didn't bat. I think they should play more HS/16U tournaments. Almost all of them play Varsity so they have faced older competition. Most of Team are 01's, two 02's and an 03.

Your team needs to get out of the kiddie TB mindset and start thinking about what it takes to play in college. Sounds like you and DD are headed that direction, but the use of 01, 02, 03 needs to go the way of 2019, 2010, and 2021. You are much better off losing in 16U than winning in 14U. In the case of your DD pitcher, she needs to face the best of the best to get better. Top pitchers in college typically start throwing in 18u by the time they are 14-15 years old. If she is mowing them down in 14U or even 16U she is not going to get better. Good luck at the SEC camp. It should be an eye opener. :)

Feb 3, 2011
I'm sure she informed her coach as a courtesy, but she just needs to be clear that she was not asking permission.

Mar 1, 2015
If the coach said that he didn't want her to get worn out I could see his point, but missing a practice at I assume 18U is
really not going to hurt her.

If coach doesn't want her to get worn out, he shouldn't have her pitching 3 games a day. I think he's worried she'll have fun, like the other team and look to make a move.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
As a coach, I would welcome any player to miss practice for that opportunity. What's supposed to be the end game here? If it's a scholarship, get your @$$ to the camp and knock their socks off. If it's 14U hardware, then go to practice.

Nov 18, 2013
If coach doesn't want her to get worn out, he shouldn't have her pitching 3 games a day. I think he's worried she'll have fun, like the other team and look to make a move.

I think you nailed it. He probably said no because he doesn't want her playing with the other team, discovering it's a better fit, and leaving. Which I'm guessing he will after being around a more competitive team with higher goals.

Oct 22, 2010
We're not looking to shop teams, we have great coaches who are excellent teachers. DD has really improved her defensive game with them. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the issue.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
(she pitched 101/121 total innings)

This is as big of a problem (and that is not even including any other innings she is pitching for school ball or elsewhere). Your DD wont have to worry about playing college ball because she will be done shortly. Sooner or later her arm will be done and she will become one of those formerly great 14U pitchers who are always out for injuries or recovering from surgery. If your current coach has been around awhile there is probably a few of those around.

Also any team made of 'primarily Varsity players' still playing 14U should be ashamed of themselves. Our team of 8th graders are all planning to play 16U starting right after Worlds in July to prepare for their first HS season.

And yeah, I send my DD to an SEC camp. What is your coach going to do? Pitch someone else? Yeah.. didn't think so.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd