WHAT WINS GAMES

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

what wins games

• More Hits

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Less Errors

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Too Hard Of A Question:)

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Your money ball theory…..I can shoot it down pretty quickly, why did the Braves only win the 1995 World Series with that insane pitching staff?? How often does a Maddux-Smoltz-Glavine-Avery combination come along on the same roster?? And they were together what, 5, 6, 7 years? And got one WS out of it, why?

Serious question, why just one World Series from arguably the best pitching staff ever? Tons of NL Pennants are great,

Good question.

First of all, baseball staffs are much bigger than softball staffs, and as a result, I'd say pitching is less important (albeit still hugely important) in baseball. It's because it's harder for a 10-man baseball staff (now 13-man staff) to separate itself from the mean than it is for a 3-man (er, woman/girl) fastpitch staff to do so.

re: Braves ... They did win the most games during that era. They just didn't win the most World Series. Just random luck and the format of a 7-game series, a crapshoot if you will, explains about 70% of it. Then there's the fact that they rarely or never had a great closer. In the '50s, the perennial playoff underachiever was the Brooklyn Dodgers. They were the opposite of the Braves - great hitting & defense, average pitching. btw, Avery faded around 1995, but the Braves had several other good #4 starters come and go into the 2000s. Amazing run.

Dec 11, 2010
Check out the BB #'s compaired to hits.
How many of those are a contribution to runs?!
Without knowing the answer- I would guess not many!

I think getting people on base is good. I think it’s important to swing at good pitches. Not swinging at bad pitches can result in BB. But after you get them on base, the Timely Hitting @ANNASDAD mentioned becomes pretty important.

And the window for that timely hit gets narrower after you give up an out bunting her to second (and don’t forget getting doubled off on Predictable Bunt #79 by Japan)

Extra base hits are a wonderful thing to monitor. Japan and Canada did very well in that category.

Maybe Team Canada is an interesting study. They hit very well at the games according to these stats.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you jump to LL baseball, do not know about SB, those pitching inning limits can be a pain. OK with rule but it can be hard to navigate threw.

Think I have this right for DD ...

8U - 2 innings a game. So if DH she could pitch 4 innings.
10U - 3 innings a game
12 and up - pitch until your arm falls off

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Without knowing the answer- I would guess not many!

I think getting people on base is good. I think it’s important to swing at good pitches. Not swinging at bad pitches can result in BB. But after you get them on base, the Timely Hitting @ANNASDAD mentioned becomes pretty important.

And the window for that timely hit gets narrower after you give up an out bunting her to second (and don’t forget getting doubled off on Predictable Bunt #79 by Japan)

Extra base hits are a wonderful thing to monitor. Japan and Canada did very well in that category.

Maybe Team Canada is an interesting study. They hit very well at the games according to these stats.
Of course timely anything can be important on the field.
Defense or hits.
Which imo makes this discussion interesting.

The numbers of hits to BB ratio simply shows that there are a measurable amount of baserunners that do not come from hits.
Even at that level.

Brings up this interesting fact
Batters can get on base without hits...or even making contact.
But the defense can't get off the field until they get 3 outs.

👉 A team could win with no hits.

May 6, 2015
Of course timely anything can be important on the field.
Defense or hits.
Which imo makes this discussion interesting.

The numbers of hits to BB ratio simply shows that there are a measurable amount of baserunners that do not come from hits.
Even at that level.

Brings up this interesting fact
Batters can get on base without hits...or even making contact.
But the defense can't get off the field until they get 3 outs.

👉 A team could win with no hits.
DS little league baseball team once won a game without putting a single ball into play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA