What too do ?????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
HELLO ALL

My daughter is playing on a new 14u team. The tryouts went well and they were pleased with her and she made the A team. But when we arrived for our first practice and they told everyone to go to their primary position four girls went to her position. My daughter is now concerned if we made the right choice? The team has six returing players and five new players.
Any suggestions on how to handle this? Is it to early to ask the coach were she will playing or where they see her playing ? I told want to come over as as crazy parent..

Thanks
JWP

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Tell her to play hard and earn the spot. My dd has not played her primary position the last year, because she played a spot that was best for the team. Good coaches will play you in multi spots to Develop you as a player. I told my oldest once, when 4 girls all stated they played first base, pick a position that no one else wants and work hard at it and you will always get to play.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I always develop players for at least 2 positions. My top 9 to start games are
the best hitters. If a bench player is better defensively, she always plays in the field
in the later innings, Work hard to earn the spot you want, continue to get as many reps
hitting as possible.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
First, you didn't make the wrong decision. Your DD has to learn how to compete for playing time with other girls. That is a good thing--it will make her work harder and make her a better player.

What position did she line up for? Many parents and players don't really understand what it takes to truly play a position well.

Also, do some serious thinking about your DD and her abilities. How fast is she? How good is her arm? What positions can she play?

One problem parents and girls have is getting over the "only good players play on the infield" syndrome. The more advanced the team, the more important outfielders become--because hitters are going to start smacking them into the outfield.

One year, the fastest girl on the team and her parents thought she should be a catcher. After talking to her about what she had (speed and a great arm), she turned into a great centerfielder.

Be flexible. Find the position that best suits your DD.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Sometimes with a new team or a team that I am unfamiliar with, I will simply say "Take the field!" I like to see what the girls do. Many will stand and look at me. A few will wander out to a position. A leader will run to her position and a follower will start toward her position and then walk around in a circle looking for an opening.

Or, I might just start sending girls out randomly. That really takes them out of their comfort zone.

It is just for fun. Tell your daughter to become the best SS (or whatever) that she can be. Practice with her daily and help her improve.

The best thing that my son did as a 6th grader to make the 8th grade team was he started to run. He ran all summer in order to get ready for ball in August. That way, when the coach had them run laps, he was in the lead and not winded. He did well, that year. There is always something that she can work on.

By the way, is she seeing a hitting instructor? Hitting will almost always keep you in the game.

May 25, 2010
A leader will run to her position and a follower will start toward her position and then walk around in a circle looking for an opening.

Love that. And different kids have different leadership abilities, depending on the setting. A shy wallflower in the classroom might be an absolute beast on the diamond.

It seems like a lot of pitchers also play 1st base, but one tidbit I picked up over the summer was to encourage my little pitcher to learn the catcher position as well. She only got to do it a couple of times during the season, but got some real training at camp this summer and *loves* it.

Jul 28, 2008
..Hitting will almost always keep you in the game.

I concur with this statement. I had a 2nd year 12U team a few years back. I picked up a 1st year player who struggled all fall/winter in practice. Her fielding was not as good as the rest of the girls and I was sure I made a mistake. Now comes spring and our first tournament. This kid knocked the hide off of the ball. She was 8 for 13. Next tournament she went 6 for 10. It only took the first tournament to realize this kid was going to be in the field somewhere. By season's end she was my starting 3rd baseman, a position she is still playing.

Feb 24, 2010
It may also be a way for the coach to see who "wants to play no matter what" and who "will only play my position".

Apr 8, 2010
well i guess i have my answer. She is actually a very good hitter so maybe she will earn her way in the box . She also may have speed on her side runs a 3.18 home to first.

Thanks for the words of wisdom......

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
3.18 isn't bad for a 13YOA girl. With a little work, she could be under 3. Sounds like she has the tools to be an outstanding outfielder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy