What powers the barrel turn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
When we went to our first session with FFS, it took a lot of restraint to wait for it and not just blurt out "Please explain this barrel turn thing." Instead, he taught her how to sequence the whole swing by relating many things to throwing.

Sorry so OT. I don't think I've checked in within the last year. I see this. Has [MENTION=1221]FiveFrameSwing[/MENTION] finally been vindicated as a real person who really works with some kids? Good for you man, good for you!

:)

carry on

Apr 1, 2014
Bagwell vs. Pujols
Different styles is a given: Fundamentally the same? If so, where do the similarities converge?

How does Bagwell get his hand set up to the rear shoulder?

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
How does Bagwell get his hand set up to the rear shoulder?
This question proves howe lost you really are. It should read:
Why does Bagwell get his hand set up to the rear shoulder?
The answer is, he's focused on keeping his hands back as he moves out. You see? cause/effect. You are infatuated with the effect.

Lost!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
As the rest of you follow along, just know that there are some who continually cherry pick videos to try and make their point. They won't show you comparable swings - different pitch and location. They can't, because it won't fit their narrative.

Example A:

Probably one of the most consistent hitters ever.
Example B:
MiggyHandDirection2.gif

This far upstream is when the hand-path is executed. Bank on it!

Don't believe me? Here's a closer look:
MiggyHandDirection3.gif

hands are a sensory - working from a benchmark location - used to chart a course early in the read process - responsible for getting the handle to the best location from which to unload the barrel?

Would this be the 'direction'/load you are referring to.
Which gives these 2 different barrel/bat paths.
Cabrera_FB_highside_sync_zps31b2f45_zpsd8887b13.gif

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2016
It does make for an interesting discussion. Do the hands move in order to deliver the barrel? Or are the hands moved by other actions? I don't think anyone debates that the scap (and the muscles associated with it) are used in the process. But I also believe the hands play an important role in the process. Some may argue that the hand movement in the Pujols video is controlled predominantly by the scap or serratus anterior. While I don't deny that is part of what is happening, I also believe that Pujols is starting to set direction at this point (not complete by any means, but starting...). That process requires the use of muscles outside of the scap area as well. To me it is all a matter of what body part you want to focus on.

I hit better/harder when batting left handed. That's because I'm 100% focused on mechanics and put less trust on natural ability. It's all timing, stride, no armbar. Front knee initiates uncoil. Back elbow dug into the ribs, upper body initiates barrel turn. Minimizing the use of my hands makes every good hit feel solid. When batting RH (natural) even deep hits feel like I hit the ball on the wrong part of the bat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA