What powers the barrel turn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2014
...It's been said that Harper got rid of the 'ER of the rear humerous'.
New(this is a gif you made & posted else where):
y2b.gif

Older:
HarperSide.gif

He got rid of this:

"Knob to ball" kills external rotation of the shoulder and further stretching of the serratus anterior. He loses the benefit of a priceless timing window during overlap. He limits the ability to strike down to any quadrant or latitude of the strike zone. He has learned to externally rotate the shoulder (and humerus) in his new swing: He found the scapula.

Notice the relationship between the top hand and rear elbow in the drill and in his old swing. What does he do in the new swing that is noticeably absent in the former?

ANSWER: He gets into the "swearing in" position.

Red to Blue: Overlap, (aka "missing frames","running start"). External rotation of the rear shoulder by trapezius and rotator cuff muscles counter the pull of the rear knee turning inwards. This gets the rear hip to pull, as the latissimus dorsi muscle induces the arm to adduct, i.e.. slot. Forearm and hand assume the "swearing in" position: The hand set remains high in proximity to the rear shoulder despite lowering of the rear elbow. The hand set resists the influence to go forward because the scapula holds the rear shoulder in external rotation. The serratus anterior is maximally stretched …

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Why do His hands lower just before and during the loading of the barrel? There's a reason He is under this ball....
He shifts the load into His rear scap then tries to turn the barrel deep. What's missing?
Makea (softball fast pitch) matches the high level mechanics of MLB hitters.
Makea3.gif
http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/TBao0/media/MakeaOverlap_zpsa1rglnel.gif.html
78012.gif

Ortiz_060213_highside_loop.gif

Red: Load. Scapula is retracted by rhomboids posteriorly; serratus anterior is stretched anteriorly.

Red to Blue: Overlap, (aka "missing frames","running start"). External rotation of the rear shoulder by trapezius and rotator cuff muscles counter the pull of the rear knee turning inwards. This gets the rear hip to pull, as the latissimus dorsi muscle induces the arm to adduct, i.e.. slot. Forearm and hand assume the "swearing in" position: The hand set remains high in proximity to the rear shoulder despite lowering of the rear elbow. The hand set resists the influence to go forward because the scapula holds the rear shoulder in external rotation. The serratus anterior is maximally stretched in this phase because of this interaction. The bat head begins to arc and flatten because of competing core muscle action: It is not the hands that create this.

Blue to Pink: "Short-Around". Serratus anterior finally fires for the decision to swing. The retracted scapula now protracts; the shoulder is internally rotated. It is during this phase that the hands become involved. Top hand and rear elbow advance forward as a unit in jousting a punch to the incoming ball. Critical in this transition is the supination of the top hand; the bottom hand supports it. A bat held in the vertical will flatten into the plane of the ball by this action. The visual arc the bat head produces blends into the arc in the core's overlap for a seamless bat path. The hands are described as "unloading into the load".

Pink and beyond: "Along-Through". Ball is punched as the top forehand and supinated hand squares the incoming ball for the follow through.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
He got rid of this:

"Knob to ball" kills external rotation of the shoulder and further stretching of the serratus anterior. He loses the benefit of a priceless timing window during overlap. He limits the ability to strike down to any quadrant or latitude of the strike zone. He has learned to externally rotate the shoulder (and humerus) in his new swing: He found the scapula.

Notice the relationship between the top hand and rear elbow in the drill and in his old swing. What does he do in the new swing that is noticeably absent in the former?

TBao, You need to reboot and flush the HI memory out..

The sequence involves the scap but not a focus..

Here is something for you to try.. Have a pitcher front toss to you with some pace from behind a screen at approx 10 feet away.. This should force a running start due to the distance.. Report back on the consistency as well as adjustability when focusing on the scap..

Also try it with the rear leg/hip as the driver..

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

I see the 'swearing in position' in the drill swing.
algh77.jpg

Harper_side_slomo.gif

I also see 'turning the barrel' also.....

Apr 1, 2014
...The sequence involves the scap but not a focus..

Here is something for you to try.. Have a pitcher front toss to you with some pace from behind a screen at approx 10 feet away.. This should force a running start due to the distance..

Also try it with the rear leg/hip as the driver..

I hear you.

The whole point to my discussion, is that we all put a high premium to "smart hands" but really do not understand what it means. The hands are indeed control and command in the swing, but we all fail to realize that we need to install the engine that goes with it.

The emphasis is such that we try too hard in reproducing bat path with our hands. We are taught to swivel. It will work, but the alignments for quickness, power and accuracy get thrown out of kilter. The truth is that the high level hitter is able to direct and control with such efficiency that all it takes is a punch with the top hand. But the requirements are highly specific.

So in your example, the student's intent is to punch to where he or she thinks the ball might cross the plate. The player will then need to figure out how the body will take him/her there. In this conversation, the help will need to come from the work of the scapula. One other thing: Hip socket separation is just as important, and not even discussed here.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2014
OVERLAP:
The hands remain up as the elbow slots: The barrel transits into a “running start”. This is because the retracted scapula and the trapezius externally rotate the rear shoulder. The movement opposes the influence of the latissimus dorsi in rotating the shoulder internally and forward as the elbow is slotted. The sum of activity maximizes the stretch in the serratus anterior. The barrel turn we see is NOT mediated by the hands.

COMPARE: Lack of overlap and a "running start" in the drill, and in real time swing. The hands are involved. The lack of scapular activity bypasses the "swearing in" transition.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
The hands are involved with the "running start" as is the scap, as is front side scrunch, as is rear side scrunch. The sequence of ALL, creates the running start.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not sure of your statement here(no found definition that explains the way that 'mediated' was used in your example):
The barrel turn we see is NOT mediated by the hands.
I'm guessing that you think the hands weren't/aren't used in the below gif(correct me if I'm wrong)
WiMled_zpsvjan21ee.gif

I'm going to say you're dead wrong. Pujols has a real tight hand pivot point.
Another example of the hands 'turning the barrel forward':
Ortiz_060213_highside_loop.gif

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on what you are trying to say.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA