What powers the barrel turn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Ben Hogan's Five Lesson's is one of my favorites. I equate Hogan to Williams in many ways. Endless hard workers and did not suffer fools gladly.

Apr 1, 2014

TDS. Isn't the knob going forward as he is turning in the video? What about the stretch?
This is showing the hitter's intent to punch in the direction of the ball.
What you see is the result of internal rotation of the the shoulder, with protraction of the scapula.
Note that an extended thumb would point vertically up along the axis of the bat just as the forearm is about to go forward. When the elbow slots the top hand flattens as he extends the punch: The forearm acts as a piston towards the point of contact. The hand flattens palm up with thumb out. He therefore SUPINATES the top hand; the bottom hand supports that supination.

The serratus anterior (SA) muscle allows him to do this, but it is primarily contracting in this practice swing without being pre-loaded and stretched. This action would be augmented and leveraged by his core in real time. The SA gets stretched by engaging his scapula into the spine during load, then stretching it even further when the shoulder joint gets externally rotated by the rotator cuff muscles and the trapezius. (See Tulo).

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
This is showing the hitter's intent to punch in the direction of the ball.
What you see is the result of internal rotation of the the shoulder, with protraction of the scapula.
Note that an extended thumb would point vertically up along the axis of the bat just as the forearm is about to go forward. When the elbow slots the top hand flattens as he extends the punch: The forearm acts as a piston towards the point of contact. The hand flattens palm up with thumb out. He therefore SUPINATES the top hand; the bottom hand supports that supination.

The serratus anterior (SA) muscle allows him to do this, but it is primarily contracting in this practice swing without being pre-loaded and stretched. This action would be augmented and leveraged by his core in real time. The SA gets stretched by engaging his scapula into the spine during load, then stretching it even further when the shoulder joint gets externally rotated by the rotator cuff muscles and the trapezius. (See Tulo).

Tbone...you disappoint me with this post...

Protraction - in terms of bodily movement - only the jaws and the shoulder can protract. This is straight from board certified orthos at the hospital I work at...not some fat a$$ pool hall owner...THE SCAP CANNOT PROTRACT!!!

Your description of "piston" doesn't come close to Webster's definition...what are you trying to say...terrible....just terrible...I don't agree with HI crap but at least your posts are usually solid with regards to describing movement...this post sucks...just keeping it real...

Please re-write your post so what you are trying to describe actually matches up to how the body ACTUALLY can move.

Thanks in advance...CP

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not uncommon for folks to speak of scapular retraction. Google it ....

2m6jpg1.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2014
Makea (softball fast pitch) matches the high level mechanics of MLB hitters.
Makea3.gif
http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/TBao0/media/MakeaOverlap_zpsa1rglnel.gif.html
78012.gif

Ortiz_060213_highside_loop.gif

Red: Load. Scapula is retracted by rhomboids posteriorly; serratus anterior is stretched anteriorly.

Red to Blue: Overlap, (aka "missing frames","running start"). External rotation of the rear shoulder by trapezius and rotator cuff muscles counter the pull of the rear knee turning inwards. This gets the rear hip to pull, as the latissimus dorsi muscle induces the arm to adduct, i.e.. slot. Forearm and hand assume the "swearing in" position: The hand set remains high in proximity to the rear shoulder despite lowering of the rear elbow. The hand set resists the influence to go forward because the scapula holds the rear shoulder in external rotation. The serratus anterior is maximally stretched in this phase because of this interaction. The bat head begins to arc and flatten because of competing core muscle action: It is not the hands that create this.

Blue to Pink: "Short-Around". Serratus anterior finally fires for the decision to swing. The retracted scapula now protracts; the shoulder is internally rotated. It is during this phase that the hands become involved. Top hand and rear elbow advance forward as a unit in jousting a punch to the incoming ball. Critical in this transition is the supination of the top hand; the bottom hand supports it. A bat held in the vertical will flatten into the plane of the ball by this action. The visual arc the bat head produces blends into the arc in the core's overlap for a seamless bat path. The hands are described as "unloading into the load".

Pink and beyond: "Along-Through". Ball is punched as the top forehand and supinated hand squares the incoming ball for the follow through.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not sure your gifs show the difference. It's been said that Harper got rid of the 'ER of the rear humerous'.
New(this is a gif you made & posted else where):
y2b.gif

Older:
HarperSide.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA