What powers the barrel turn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Wow, big/high elbow jut. Found it a little strange to point out the lead elbow working "up" when in fact it didn't seem to work up at all given it was such a low pitch. Pretty good stuff though..

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Wow, big/high elbow jut. Found it a little strange to point out the lead elbow working "up" when in fact it didn't seem to work up at all given it was such a low pitch. Pretty good stuff though..

I cant believe how high his hand set/ elbow is. I didnt see his elbow working ^up but I did see it turn towards the pitch. His tall stance is very different from bagwell.

Really keeps that rear elbow behind the bat.

Screenshot_2016-04-01-17-13-13.jpg

https://youtu.be/n4Mw2t1k5og

Last edited:
May 3, 2014

You need to check the lens you look through.

Apr 1, 2014
Moved from a prior thread in deference to the thread's author.

I do. I just don't think loading hands is the way to put it. I can load my hands and my hands only.... and bypass my scap and lower back. I do indeed say the scap is loaded. I don't get into the semantics of what loads has to unload. And yes it unloads...so do the hips. The question is when. I guess the popular phrase today is clamp or pinch the scap.

Absolutely agree with this...
One fires what one loads.

This hitter below loads the hands by "walking away", then she fires.
She is incapable of what Ortiz does with his: He loads his core, and then fires with his core. The scapula is the fulcrum and a critical element of the core. It is front and center to what orchestrates the activity in the upper extremity in BOTH the throw and high level swing.

OrtizHands1.gif
ExcellentHands.gif

Excellent hands vs very poor hands ?

Hugo is the Bryce Harper of softball. She is athletic enough to adapt and succeed in collegiate play. In my opinion, she "golfs" the ball. She has no scapula. I would not consider her a model swing.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2014
The following slides illustrates the most comprehensive analysis that reflects my understanding of the mechanism of the high level swing.
What you will see are the events the occur during the load and in the overlap.
If there is any doubt in the role the scapula, then you will not understand or recognize the high level swing, let alone teach it.

That said a disclaimer is appropriate: This poster makes no endorsement in what the author sells, teaches or opines.

The salient points are implied in the next several slides are:
The movement in the hands and bat head during the load and overlap are rooted in activity of the core.
The scapula is the key in transducing energy input, and orchestrating the movement output in optimum bat path. It is functionally and anatomically the "corner", the fulcrum in the high level swing.
The high level strategy of the system loads the core, and fires with the core. Central to this is the loading of the serratus anterior then firing it as the output:

What is noteworthy in the following slides is that the HANDS are not involved.

….[L]ook at some clips. .. of Donaldson…as he is finishing his stride and starting to move the bat toward the ball. Focus on the rear side.

Source: Shoulder Function - Part Two - East Bay Hitting Instruction
Disclaimer: The presentation is educational for the sole purpose in defining the biomechanical events that occur in the swing. This poster makes no endorsement in what the authors sells, teaches, or opines, and acknowledges that the visuals may be subject to interpretation.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2014
[L]ook at the first part where we see Donaldson’s rear elbow work up.

Donaldson’s is abducting (moving away from his body) his upper arm and letting the barrel come toward us by internally rotating the rear shoulder allowing his scapula (shoulder blade) to protract, …..doing the complete opposite of the movement he wants to do next. Similar to the counter-movement in a high jump, he is stretching and prepping all the muscles he needs for his next movement.

..[L]ook at [the] next movement. Here we see the rear elbow working its way down. What brings the arm back from adducted or flexed position? The lat[isissmus dorsi]are the big and powerful muscles that attach at the spine and iliac crest proximally and the upper arm distally. What is going to be of special interest is that the attachment of the lat on the upper arm is on the anterior or front of the arm.

Source: Shoulder Function - Part Two - East Bay Hitting Instruction
Disclaimer: The presentation is educational for the sole purpose in defining the biomechanical events that occur in the swing. This poster makes no endorsement in what the authors sells, teaches, or opines, and acknowledges that the visuals may be subject to interpretation.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck