What is the youngest age group in your area?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2010
we have a 6\u league at our park that the softball B.O.D. started about two years ago. no tee. just 5 pitches from the coach. when we started that league we thought it better to start them off hitting live pitch so to make them better quicker. plus that's what the other parks in our area do that we play with. i must say that it is a big thrill seeing them lil bitty girls hitting live coach pitch. i think it's great because they are learning more at a younger age and our coaches have to work with them even more at that age. it's been a real blessing to our park and the 6\u's.

Apr 13, 2010
For Travel? 10U is the youngest in our city. We have in house rec that goes all the way back to age 5 I think they start.

Mar 15, 2010
For rec ball 6U is the youngest. For travel ball there are some 8U teams but those are daddy ball teams. The large TB associations around me generally start at 12U. There are a couple of exceptions with one of the largest associations recruiting an 11U team team this year. The biggest tournaments have not adjusted so the 11U teams either have to play up in 12U or they have to play a smaller tourney circuit. A few parents in my rec league with younger children whose older siblings are all-stars did start a biddy ball league this all-star season and they use our t-ball field and have attracted two teams comprised of 4 - 6 YO. This is purely educational and there are no plans to make this a spring or fall division.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
We have a 8U 5 pitch league with 10 teams in it. They play the same location league as our travel teams. In Nebraska many small towns have teams that go around and play each other also.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We start 6U and go up to 12u. There is not much intrest for us after that due to travel, MS, and HS ball taking most of the girls who want to continue. We play all stars from 6U up.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm still trying to imagine what a 6u 'all-star' game looks like.

You would be suprised even at this young age that most of the 6U all-stars can field a ground ball, hit coach pitch regularly (after four pitches, goes to a tee) and can catch and throw most of the time. They use a regulation 10" sofdot ball (the same used at 8U). The kids have lots of fun, and get some additional practice and game experience.

Dec 31, 2009
Our league is in North Metro Atlanta. We have 6U Tee Ball, 8U coach pitch, 10U, 12U and 16U rec, 10U, 12U, 14U and 16U travel.

Some of the Tee Ball girls start as early as 4, most are 5 or 6. The better 6's play up in 8U, probably about 1/3 of the 6's play 8U.

8U is five pitches from the coach. The 8's who really want to pitch will play up in 10U so that they can start a year early.

10U is kid pitch with coach rescue, the coach pitches after 4 balls, so there are no walks and everyone hits or strikes out. The best 10U pitchers play travel, so the rec league is always short on pitchers who can throw strikes. We have the coach rescue to avoid the walkfests.

We do not have enough girls for a 14U rec league, so we combined it with 16U. We play in a league with two other parks. There are a lot of High School JV players, and the less serious Varsity girls playing in the league. This league has become very popular the last couple of years.

I have been on the board for seven years now. I have seen an age group decimated by poor communication, planning and organization. We lost 80% of a 12U age group after a disappointing season where the teams did not even have coaches assigned on the first day of practice, and the league had to cancel opening day. The teams were not evenly divided, and no one stepped up to resolve any issues or disputes. It was a bad season, and the girls did not come back to softball the next year.

I have also seen an age group retain 90% of its girls year after year up to age 14. This age group has even added new players because the players recruit their friends. The League Directors and coaches are organized and efficient, they resolve any issues and divide the teams evenly. They try to keep everything positive and work together, yet also remain competitive on the field.

I believe that one other key to retaining girls into their teens is to allow buddy requests. Our league has been lenient on allowing buddy requests, sometimes allowing three or four girls to play together every year. It is hard to balance the teams, and not everyone on the board agrees that it is the right thing to do. But I see these buddy packs of two, three or four girls come back year after year. it seems that they can't let their budies down, so they sign up , then they have a good time and want to play again.

May 5, 2008
Here there is ASA 8U which is coach pitch. There is no age minimum for this group so there are players as young as 5 playing 8U.

For Bobby Sox which is a dwindling league here there is 8U and 6U. Bobby Sox 8's pitch for themselves and can steal bases (including home). I believe 6U is coach pitch for part of the season, but I could have sworn in states a few years ago, the 6's were even pitching for themselves. When they first start pitching for themselves for Bobby Sox, if they pitch 4 balls, the coach DOES come in and pitch to the batter too. But for 8's that's out by the end of the season and players are the only pitchers.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
6U all star games are actually very fun to watch. It's coach pitch and 95% of the girls hit very well. They play good defense and as far as our team goes we can throw girls out at first from any spot in the dirt. We try to avoid throwing to any other bases on the infield because trying to teach them who covers what and when is a little over their heads but our SS and 2B do a good job covering 2B for throws in from the outfield.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06