What game situations should players REALLY know ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
My 12u team has a break for a couple of weeks and I was planning on testing their "game knowledge" during this time. As part of this , I would like to give them a multiple choice quiz that covers several game scenarios. What are some of the specific scenarios/questions that should be asked? Any help would be apprecited ( serious replies only please)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not answering your question but what I have thought about doing is printing a lot of playing fields with just the Players on it, maybe a couple runners based on the situation. Then the person would chart all the Players on the field based on the situation.

I know you can get the dry marker fields to do the same thing, 12 of them cannot be too expensive.

Runner on 1st, no outs, batter showing bunt, person would chart out all the players.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I've done the quizz thing before. It works if your looking at who is learning, but going with a verbal quizz where all the girls are there and you pick one to answer the question the weaker knowledge ones may pick up something.

Jan 24, 2011
I've done the quizz thing before. It works if your looking at who is learning, but going with a verbal quizz where all the girls are there and you pick one to answer the question the weaker knowledge ones may pick up something.

Really just wanting to use the quiz as an evaluation as to where we are as a team and what things we might need to work on a bit more

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
In that case, I actually made a quizz from powerpoint slides with different situations with runners and defensive players. The girls drew arrows to where the defensive players go depending on the situations. Worked out pretty well

Apr 22, 2015
Do you guys still have the quiz by chance? I want to get the girls to constantly think about what reaction to the hit will be defensively before the pitch is delivered. What coverage possibilities they will be in according to the placement of the hit and the runners locations/current outs.

We have some talented athletic girls who have been playing for years that rely far too much on athletic ability who could be deadly if they could have the play in their head before the pitch is made. Meanwhile we have some girls with little experience that are great students and want to learn so the quiz idea is a great tool IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968