What defensive positions are the hardest to fill for HS coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I tell my DD, who plays 1B when not pitching, that 1B is the easiest position out there. I tell other parents that too. And as you get on a better and better team, the throws to you are more on target and it becomes even easier.

Some parents I know feel it's an honor for their kid to play 1B. It might be, in that it means they want your bat in the lineup. :p

1B is "easy" until people (often pitchers who aren't mobile enough to play anywhere else) aren't catching / stopping balls that should be caught. The better the team, the more important saving those outs that aren't on target can become.

Jun 8, 2016
1B is "easy" until people (often pitchers who aren't mobile enough to play anywhere else) aren't catching / stopping balls that should be caught. The better the team, the more important saving those outs that aren't on target can become.
Easier..it’s relative. Do you disagree? What I will say is that people may often ignore (compared to other positions) working on the skills that make for a good 1b..

Good teams have good fielders at every position. That should be the goal..

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
I find it funny that no one ever wants their DD to play OF when they are young, then when they get to HS, there are no OF and everyone is mad.:ROFLMAO:
You should of seen the look on the parents faces when first year 6u my DD said her favorite position was OF. Poor kid had been dragged to watch 12u and older softball since she was born, so she knew how important OF is. Senior in HS and she'd love to play RF, but the RF is a speedy girl and my DD is a darn good defensive 1B.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Think the catcher number (12.5) might be higher in fastpitch because of more bunting, base stealing and 1st and 3rd situations.

The positional adjustment is probably different, but I think the order is probably similar.

I think I could make an argument that 3B might be a little more valuable than 2B because of all the bunting/slappers, though 2B does have additional coverage responsibilities in softball, too. Not sure if those cancel out.

Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
You should of seen the look on the parents faces when first year 6u my DD said her favorite position was OF. Poor kid had been dragged to watch 12u and older softball since she was born, so she knew how important OF is. Senior in HS and she'd love to play RF, but the RF is a speedy girl and my DD is a darn good defensive 1B.
You are the smartest parent in softball!! Your travel and HS years will be drama free. No one will ever include you and your DD in their "my kid needs on the dirt" drama. When new travel parents ask me for advice when their kids start 8U, I have 3 suggestions:

1. Buy a small motorhome
2. Have DD play OF
3. Stay away from 2B

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Easier..it’s relative. Do you disagree? What I will say is that people may often ignore (compared to other positions) working on the skills that make for a good 1b..

Good teams have good fielders at every position. That should be the goal..

It carries its own set of skills to play well, and the parts that make a good player at that position aren't easy at all. I've seen plenty of players who were decent at other positions who would be a disaster at 1B. A 1B who can't do anything beyond catch the throw that hits them in the chest will eventually make your IF look horrible; not even Grace Lyons throws it perfectly every time. At the HS/college level, a hard shot can go to 1B just as easily as anywhere else. A weak fielder there sends a ball down the RF line...not good. 1Bs are usually the infield cut, and the ability of that player to react is the difference between getting a trailing out and everyone being safe, or worse. Ask OSU's coach about what happened when his 1B (a good player having a horrible moment) chucked a throw into CF against Texas last year in the WCWS.

Jun 8, 2016
It carries its own set of skills to play well, and the parts that make a good player at that position aren't easy at all. I've seen plenty of players who were decent at other positions who would be a disaster at 1B. A 1B who can't do anything beyond catch the throw that hits them in the chest will eventually make your IF look horrible; not even Grace Lyons throws it perfectly every time. At the HS/college level, a hard shot can go to 1B just as easily as anywhere else. A bad fielder there sends a ball down the RF line...not good. 1Bs are usually the infield cut, and the ability of that player to react is the difference between getting a trailing out and everyone being safe, or worse. Ask OSU's coach about what happened when his 1B (a good player having a horrible moment) chucked a throw into CF against Texas last year in the WCWS.
So that is a no you don't agree..got it. Also yes I do know that to be a good 1B you need to do more than just catch balls thrown straight at you..but thanks for the refresher. If you think the number of skills you need to be good at to be good is the same for SS and 1B then I am going to have to disagree.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
So that is a no you don't agree..got it. Also I know good 1B do more than just catch balls thrown at them..don't be patronizing.

Wasn't trying to be "patronizing"...I was expanding on your earlier comment. People underestimate the position, and it's apparent that you understand that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06