What defensive positions are the hardest to fill for HS coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Wasn't trying to be "patronizing"...I was expanding on your earlier comment.
I modified my response..sorry.

Simple question. Do you think the number of skills you need to master to be good is the same for SS and 1B? Yes or no. Forget about athleticism..not talking about that. Maybe it is more or less the same and really the degree of athleticism needed is just different..I personally don't think so.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I modified my response..anyway.

Simple question. Do you think the number of skills you need to master to be good is the same for SS and 1B? Yes or no. Forget about athleticism..not talking about that.
I believe that they are very much the same. While a person might argue range left and right, there might be trade-offs in other areas. For example, fielding the bunt and making throws to all of the bases. My dd was thrust into playing 1st after being recruited and practicing as an outfielder. The 1B walked off the bus prior to taking off for the team's first game/tournament when my dd was a freshman. Coach called her to the front of the bus and told her she was the 1B. When that tournament was done, she and I spent hours working on her footwork at 1st and throwing to the various bases fielding the bunt, cutting the balls off from the outfield, and turning two. If a person wants to argue range, another factor is how far in foul territory a 1B is asked to go to in order to catch a foul ball. You might gain some advantage by arguing SS over 1B wrt arm strength. Then again, I am not impartial wrt this topic so there is that.

Jun 8, 2016
I believe that they are very much the same. While a person might argue range left and right, there might be trade-offs in other areas. For example, fielding the bunt and making throws to all of the bases. My dd was thrust into playing 1st after being recruited and practicing as an outfielder. The 1B walked off the bus prior to taking off for the team's first game/tournament when my dd was a freshman. Coach called her to the front of the bus and told her she was the 1B. When that tournament was done, she and I spent hours working on her footwork at 1st and throwing to the various bases fielding the bunt, cutting the balls off from the outfield, and turning two. If a person wants to argue range, another factor is how far in foul territory a 1B is asked to go to in order to catch a foul ball. You might gain some advantage by arguing SS over 1B wrt arm strength. Then again, I am not impartial wrt this topic so there is that.
To me the biggest difference is something which some would say makes 1B harder, eg the fact that SS play further away. To me this means there are a lot more intricacies involved (footwork,angles,etc) in fielding the ball to have the best chance of getting an out (both from a time aspect and getting a good hop aspect). Those are skills. There is still some of that at 3B and 1B but it is lot more reactionary which also can be trained to some extent I guess. 1B also have to learn footwork around the bag obviously so maybe it is a wash. Throwing accurately from different arm slots is also a lot more prevalent for MI than 1B although there is some of that for them as well.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I modified my response..sorry.

Simple question. Do you think the number of skills you need to master to be good is the same for SS and 1B? Yes or no. Forget about athleticism..not talking about that. Maybe it is more or less the same and really the degree of athleticism needed is just different..I personally don't think so.

If we're just talking about the number of skills? Can't say I've ever thought about it in that way, but I don't think so. The emphasis on certain skills is obviously different, but I've never added them up. A SS throws the ball more often, but the types of throws a good 1B can make can be quite difficult.

Oct 4, 2018
1B is "easy" until people (often pitchers who aren't mobile enough to play anywhere else) aren't catching / stopping balls that should be caught. The better the team, the more important saving those outs that aren't on target can become.

Sure, but I said "easiest", not "easy". All the positions have their challenges. And of course some players are better 1B than others.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
1B also handles most or all of the cuts home. Cut 2, cut 4! Has to listen and trust catcher, catch the ball(move her feet),make a clean transfer and throw and not get anxious and sail into CF. And don't forget she has to save her SS errors on throws in the dirt. And they are expected to have a big bat. 1B is no joke.

Dec 2, 2019
You are the smartest parent in softball!! Your travel and HS years will be drama free. No one will ever include you and your DD in their "my kid needs on the dirt" drama. When new travel parents ask me for advice when their kids start 8U, I have 3 suggestions:

1. Buy a small motorhome
2. Have DD play OF
3. Stay away from 2B

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Never understood this love affair with playing 2B, I really believe it's the easiest position on the field to play. I've been on teams where parents would argue over their kid getting a chance to play 2B.

Jan 22, 2011
It carries its own set of skills to play well, and the parts that make a good player at that position aren't easy at all. I've seen plenty of players who were decent at other positions who would be a disaster at 1B. A 1B who can't do anything beyond catch the throw that hits them in the chest will eventually make your IF look horrible; not even Grace Lyons throws it perfectly every time. At the HS/college level, a hard shot can go to 1B just as easily as anywhere else. A weak fielder there sends a ball down the RF line...not good. 1Bs are usually the infield cut, and the ability of that player to react is the difference between getting a trailing out and everyone being safe, or worse. Ask OSU's coach about what happened when his 1B (a good player having a horrible moment) chucked a throw into CF against Texas last year in the WCWS.
I know a player who played short stop for 4 years at a mid-major, got into Stanford as a grad student, and got to use her Covid year to play for Stanford. Injuries halfway through season left them without a 1B, and after trying other players at 1B, wound up playing her at 1B the rest of the season.

Coaches since my DD was 9 have tried to use her in RF for her arm, but realized she is such a heads-up 1B she catches most errant throws, gets to most foul balls, and as soon as she catches the ball at 1B is looking to pick off the other baserunners. Coaches quickly realize she saves or steals at least an extra out a game that "bats" at 1B don't.

My DD is a lefty who at times plays at 3B and 2B because of her skills if the team is missing the starter at that position.

Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
Never understood this love affair with playing 2B, I really believe it's the easiest position on the field to play. I've been on teams where parents would argue over their kid getting a chance to play 2B.
All drama I ever experienced as a coach was over 2B. It was really strange. I agree. I think since it's the easiest, it's where the weaker fielding players gravitate to with their parents squeaking for "dirt time".

Jun 11, 2013
As others have said, if you can hit you will play. If you can't hit unless you are exceptional at either SS, C or CF you likely won't play. At lower levels worry less about where you are playing and more on developing good techniques and habits. Really learn how to field ground balls, catch fly balls, work on relays,etc. If you have good fundamentals then you can start looking for set positions. Be honest with yourself. If you don't have range you won't be a Middle infielder or CF. For most kids it's really not that hard to rule out certain positions. Now in HS it's tough because you are stuck with the players you have so some kid might have to play SS who really is a 3B. Conversely you might be a good SS but you have a great one so you might have to play elsewhere. It's nice as a coach if you have utility players who can adequately play many positions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad