What age to start my DD picthing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
She is 8 now. Our league is machine pitch until age 11. I was thinking about getting her started now so she will be ahead of the game when the time comes. Thanks!

Apr 13, 2010
I highly recommend you at least start out with a good qualified pitching instructor. Don't make the mistake that I did and just accept the little bitsy instruction offered for free by your association or current teams coaching staff.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD started pitching in games at 7 and it worked out fine.

I would start when she is interested and see if she can pitch some in practice to live batters when she is ready.

May 18, 2009
3-5, with a tennis ball. Get her used to the windmill. Whenever she wants to play catch you make it a game. The earlier the better. They love that they get to do something with dad and it's a great bonding experience. Then have them start expanding to a small softball at age 7/8 with league games if possible. Age 11 seems late to introduce live pitching.

Mar 15, 2010
DD#3 is due near the end of the year and I have her first lesson with DD#2 PC at 6 months. First lesson will cover fastball, change up, drop and rise. The screw and curve can wait until she is 9 months.

For those of you who don't get sarcasm I am just kidding, 6 months is WAY too late. I am dragging pregnant wife to DD#2 pitching lessons so that DD#3 can start learning by osmosis.

May 18, 2009
DD#3 is due near the end of the year and I have her first lesson with DD#2 PC at 6 months. First lesson will cover fastball, change up, drop and rise. The screw and curve can wait until she is 9 months.

For those of you who don't get sarcasm I am just kidding, 6 months is WAY too late. I am dragging pregnant wife to DD#2 pitching lessons so that DD#3 can start learning by osmosis.

As long as she knows five pitches by age one she'll be ok. ;}

Mar 13, 2010
My question is, does she want to pitch?

My mum gave me some lessons at eight (former state pitcher, then current top A grade pitcher. She was 31 and won her team the state championships pitching every game) I took to it quite well. But I had to ask for lessons. She never offered. The only offer I got was when I started saying I wanted to pitch 'if you want to learn I'll show you' I was shown the basic grip (and I've always pitched with a two seam even from that early age, so I always chuckly when I see people say 2 seam is too hard for little hands) and shown the basic motion. We'd usually pitch two to three times a week.

When I stopped pitching at 11 (it's amazing what 'if you practise hard you might be as good as your mum!' can do to a little pitcher. I stopped pitching and didn't start again for six years. Never wanted to attempt to live up to it) I was never pushed into it again.

Oct 3, 2009
My question is, does she want to pitch?

My mum gave me some lessons at eight (former state pitcher, then current top A grade pitcher. She was 31 and won her team the state championships pitching every game) I took to it quite well. But I had to ask for lessons. She never offered. The only offer I got was when I started saying I wanted to pitch 'if you want to learn I'll show you' I was shown the basic grip (and I've always pitched with a two seam even from that early age, so I always chuckly when I see people say 2 seam is too hard for little hands) and shown the basic motion. We'd usually pitch two to three times a week.

When I stopped pitching at 11 (it's amazing what 'if you practise hard you might be as good as your mum!' can do to a little pitcher. I stopped pitching and didn't start again for six years. Never wanted to attempt to live up to it) I was never pushed into it again.

Other than this advice from Lozza the rest of this thread is parent-centric claptrap. Now it might be inherent from the original question, but the simple answer is the best time to start your DD pitching is when your DD actually wants to pitch. Not when your ego demands it. Not when your neighbors DD started, and certainly not when some Calif dad posts here about when his DD started and their 4 day a week 6 hour a day workouts. And while I love this board and all the IR insight, and tips on throwing movement pitches, blah blah. The simple reality is the best pitchers want to be the best pitchers. They do not care if the high school coach is pregnant, senile, steeped in the old school approach to pitching, or unduly influenced by nefarious alumni boosters or parents. They don't even give one hoot if the TB coach doesn't realize their statistical genius, but what does set them apart is when the going gets rough real pitchers say lets go practice. And I absolutely promise you that comes from within. Now you can wish/hope/bribe but at the end of the day the one thing I have learned is great pitchers want to be great pitchers and they will practice way after the normal person says it is time to go home. If you have seen one you know exactly what I mean.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl