Weight, Strength training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
I was wondering if any of you have any advice concerning weight training for pitchers?
Should pitchers be involved in the same weight training program as non-pitchers?
Is there certain exercises they should avoid?
Are there any exercises that would specifically increase Velocity?
Do any of you have any experience with the "Finch Windmill"?
Sorry so many questions, my girls are just now getting to the age that weight training may be required at school and I was hoping to avoid any pitfalls that I can...

May 7, 2008
Generally, when it comes to weight training, I have found that heavy weight exercises for the arms can actually slow down the arm speed. Weight training for the back, butt and legs I think is very helpful in getting a stronger drive off the rubber. I have a Finch Windmill and know girls who have used it. If it is done according to the instructions and kept up, just like any exercise, it definitely will be helpful in strengthening the throwing muscles. Pitchers do not use the same work out programs as position players.

May 7, 2008
DFW
I would generally defer this question to Marc as his site is about performance and he has far more experience at it than me or many others on here but I will share my experience.

I dont ask my pitchers to lift weight until they are in a HS program. I am always concerned about stability and growth plate injuries. I think weights at too young an age are not good for the young player. That is my own personal opinion and there will be others the would disagree with that position.

Having said that I do like Isometric and plyometric exercises. I also have my pitchers do light band work to primarily strengthen the muscles around the rotator cuff. Never heavy weights and I am a firm believer that a pitcher should never throw a weighted ball. To much opportunity for injury in my opinion. Others differ in that opinion. All I know is my students dont have problems with injury unless some coach pitches them too much and they get fatigue from overuse.

The next thing I am going to start doing is the old Steve Carlton rice bucket. Carlton used to fill a bucket with rice and then would take his hands and drive then in and around in the bucket to build up finger, wrist and forearm strength. You do that for 2-3 min and you are going to have some tired hands, wrist, and arms.

Dana

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hi Coach,

Weight training is definitely a good thing for pitchers. We still hear a lot of myths about pitchers should not lift they will become muscle bound... blab blah blah this is all B.S.

There is no limits or restrictions in terms of what a pitcher can do. We tend to recommend to limit use of bench press as stress on shoulder is a little higher. Keep it mostly for low reps (8 or less) and heavier loads. For 8 + reps, try to use alternatives like DB Bench Press, Push-ups, etc.

Finch Windmill = good overall tool for injury prevention, muscle balance, and can help gain a few mph over time.

As recommended in some of the replies - lots of core work, leg work (lunges, squats, step-ups,etc.) and don't be scared to do good upper work.

Cheers,

Coach Marc :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii