We are a unique bunch....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 2, 2015
Currently struggling with all this. My daughter is an 09 (January). Majority of her friends are 08.
We struggle with the concept of playing her up to challenge her, and playing her in her age group where she's the oldest to build more confidence.
Currently playing up. That may change down the road, but I doubt it.

We have the same issue with my son (August 30 birthday). With school, we chose to hold him back, so he'll always be one of the oldest in his class. With some sports cut-offs (baseball and football) he'll be the absolute youngest until he reaches high-school.

I spent 30 minutes trying to explain to a baseball father, who was thinking about moving his daughter from baseball, that 13-year-olds play at 12U. Why can't outsiders get this simple concept?? ;)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Same here. I felt sometimes people were thinking my dd was a car. She's a 98.

My 04 Catcher...Low miles on a strong engine that will keep going all day long, but not a high top speed. Tends to turn left every 60'. Slow to warm up on cold, early mornings. A few scrapes and dings in the finish, but frame has had no major repairs. Rocket-launcher and cannon are in good condition.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
I love this thread......

DD is a Nov 04- so a baby for her travel age group and will be 16y.o When she is a senior in high school. Yup - it took me a while to figure out what seasoned travel parents were saying about the fact that we did not plan well.......apparently we were planning for volleyball

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
In Wisconsin, a September baby would generally start the next year, unless requested by the parents. In general, once school starts on September 1, that is the age cutoff. So the September-December kids have an interesting situation. They are playing a year up from their classmates in softball. So a fall kid is one of the youngest in their TB age group, but one of the oldest in school ball.

DS has a July 4 birthday, so he was always one of the youngest is his class. For his sport, rowing, the eligibility is entirely based on HS except for national teams, and he's not that good. He had a year left for age as a HS rower when he graduated, but was no longer eligible since he had graduated. Same with college. They have freshman and varsity, and he was one of the youngest freshmen, then one of the youngest varsity his sophomore year.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I understand the "young" thing. DD has a September 2001 bday. She is young for travel and really young for 2019 class. She will start her senior year as a 16yo.

Both my girls are November babies. First one went off to college at age 17, the next one hopefully the same in a few years.

Fortunately the first one is now 18 or flying as an unaccompanied minor might present problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207