Was Time Called or Not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
So at yesterday's game, runners on 2nd & 3rd. A foul ball goes over the right field fence out of play. Before the next pitch the ball is retrieved and given to one of our coaches who keeps it until after the next pitch. The next pitch is a wild pitch, and the runner on 3rd scores and runner on 2nd moves up to 3rd base. As our pitcher walks back to the circle with the ball, the umpire takes off his mask, looks directly to our 1st base dugout, puts his hand up in the air asking for the foul ball. As we throw the ball to him, the runner on 3rd breaks for home plate and scores.

Our manager argued with the umpire that his putting his hand up and requesting the second ball was "time being called"(even though he didn't verbalize it) and the baserunner at 3rd base should not have scored and should have been sent back to 3rd base. Umpire disagrees and said he never called "time". Our manager said how can you possibly see the play at home while you are requesting for the foul ball, and the umpire said "he can do two things at once"? Our manager ends up getting ejected.

What say you?

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Not sure what the written rule would be, but sounds like the ump should have known better and ruled it as "his" time out, and sent the runner back

Jun 22, 2008
The umpire should not have requested the ball be thrown to him until play was over (pitcher and ball back in circle). But, my personal opinion is once he requested the other ball be thrown in to him he had implied time was called and play should have ceased.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Speaking ASA, and probably every other rule set, the moment the umpire initiated the performance of a duty other than calling a play, the game is suspended and no action is possible.

Umpire needs a clinic or two

Dec 19, 2012
I've been around baseball/softball for a long time. I've never seen anything like what you are describing. Wow......

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I agree with Comp. Anytime an umpire takes his mask off, I would think that anyone with any sort of relationship with the game would understand that "time" had been called.

One game last summer, DD was pitching. She had the ball, had received the sign from the catcher, and went into her motion. She stopped herself midway, before releasing the ball, and pointed out to the umpire that she (the umpire) had forgotten to put her mask back on! Luckily everyone involved understood the simple error at play and was content to move on. A retroactive "no pitch" was called - we all would have been pretty incredulous if an illegal pitch had been called.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I agree with Comp. Anytime an umpire takes his mask off, I would think that anyone with any sort of relationship with the game would understand that "time" had been called.

Umpires take their masks off all the time when the ball is still in play. In the play that was presented, there was a wild pitch and a run scored. Any umpire I am aware of would have their mask off to watch for a possible play at the plate. For that matter, almost any time a batter hits a ball the plate umpire should have their mask off, with the exception of obvious foul balls. The umpire in the play presented assumed play was over and turned his/her attention to retrieving the foul ball. At that point play should have been stopped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing