Video camera recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a new video camera purchase and I wanted to get recommendations on what you all use for doing video analysis.

I must apologize because I have asked this question before and I got some excellent responses. unfortunately, I can't find that info.

this time I will save it.

thanks!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Are you planning to use it for on-the-spot visual confirmation of something you're saying, or more in-depth analysis on a computer?

If it's the former, I love the Kodak Playsport. It's a pocket-size video camera that lets you shoot in HD at 60 FPS, play it back instantly, and step through the player's motion. The screen is a little small but it works pretty well overall. The other nice thing about it is it's waterproof and made for extreme sports so it's really durable. You can throw it in your coach's bag and not worry about it.

If you're talking about for a computer analysis, I use a Sony DV camera with Firewire. It's nothing special, just a low-end model, but I got it for the Firewire connection. If you want to do higher-speed video (It shoots 30 FPS normally) there are probably better models. But I have to say mine works pretty well with MotionView software.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks Ken! I will need a camera with firewire connection, so the Sony sounds like a good all-around choice. but I'll check out the Kodak as well- i9t may be what I need.

May 25, 2010
The Playsport is probably all you need, as you can shoot 30 frames per sec in high-definition with it as well. Combine that ability along with its size, durability and cost and it's an all-around great value. Shooting on memory cards is much easier than having to deal with tapes.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
With most of the memory card type cameras you will get some distortion of really high speed actions like the motion of a bat. It's not a deal breaker you just have to keep it in mind when you watch the replays. Also make sure to check the possible shutter speeds, you want the capability to shoot manually at 1/1000 or more.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2010
SO CAL
This is the one I hope to get pretty soon. Casio EX-FH25 Exilim Check out the you tube videos on it the slo-motion is great.

May 5, 2008
Kodak! Playsport looks really cool. I have the Zi8 which shoots 60fps and HD. I'm not sure about firewire, but I'm sure you could find an adapter? It has usb connection and AV cables.

Marc actually recommended the Zi8 to me and I'm really glad I picked it up. The Playsport from what I can tell is similar?

Plus I love that the Kodak's can playback in slo-mo right then and there (or frame by frame). You can also hook it up to your TV and watch it back in slo-mo/frame by frame.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The Playsport is basically the Zi8 in a more rugged case, which is why I like it. It was designed for people who like to shoot video of themselves doing extreme sports - rafting, snowboarding, mountain biking, things like that. So it's waterproof to 10 feet and supposedly more shock-resistant.

I keep mine in my coach's bag all the time, so it can be exposed to dirt, water (rain mostly), heat and cold. It sits in my trunk during the cold Chicago winters, yet fires right up when I'm doing a lesson. So for someone who isn't as good to his toys as he should be it's great.

I got a little portable TV for Christmas. I think I could hook up the Playsport to it if needed to provide a little bigger viewing area. But then that's one more thing to carry, and the TV isn't designed for the same environment as the camera. Also nothing beats the convenience of just walking up to the player and saying "Here, look at this." For many girls, just seeing the camera come out of the bag is enough to get them to improve on what they're doing!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've never really tried to find that out. I usually use it in short bursts, so I shoot, show and delete. I'm guessing about an hour's worth or so, but will see if I can find anything on that when I crank it up next. Many cameras tell you how much time you have left, and I think this one does too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch