Varsity player intentionally misses bus to game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Tuesday night's scheduled district game was rescheduled to Wednesday due to rain/ice/cold. Players were allowed a break to get food and whatever before it was time to get on bus to depart for game about 45 minutes away. 3 p.m. rolls around, bus is pulling out. Two players are missing...one pulls in as bus was leaving...she tails the bus all the way to the game (she was rear-ended when she went to get food which caused her delay). The other player was contacted by DD via phone and text..."Where are you?", "Bus just left parking lot", "Follow bus", etc. Player finally just said "No." and didn't answer phone from that point on. Come to find out, she had rodeo tickets and went to rodeo instead.

They went on to lose the game horribly (high number of errors, not hitting into gaps, etc), and they all blame her (and umps). LOL.

Will be interesting to see what the repercussions will be. Does she deserve to be kicked off team? What will the coaches do? This player totally lost the coaches' and team's respect and trust. DD said they were so angry and disappointed on the way to the game. She also said that 2 other players gave up their tickets in order to go to the game.

Jun 22, 2008
I can tell you what my answer would be if I was the coach.

Hope you enjoyed the rodeo, because you are going to have the whole rest of the season to attend. Bye bye now.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, boy! If this was a baseball player at my son's former HS, he would simply be done at the school, let alone the team. I see so many problems with what happened. As a coach, I might have turned the bus around, being concerned about the student.

Jun 24, 2013
I am not as demanding as you other posters.

I think it is a conversation with the player, if conversation goes OK x amount of time suspended.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
MAK: The in-laws live in Houston & I've been to the HLSR multiple times. We live in the Northeast, I hadn't ever been to a rodeo & didn't get what a big deal it was until we attended the 1st time. 100,000 plus pepole with the Rodeo & Fair combined is a pretty exciting event.

I'm assuming the Musical guest at the Rodeo was the attraction for the player?

Who was playing?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. The rodeo is a big draw here, too. But, schools close so families can go. This young lady knew she wouldn't be at the game and would have caused me, as coach, to waste time contacting her parents and the school administration, about her disappearance.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
MAK: The in-laws live in Houston & I've been to the HLSR multiple times. We live in the Northeast, I hadn't ever been to a rodeo & didn't get what a big deal it was until we attended the 1st time. 100,000 plus pepole with the Rodeo & Fair combined is a pretty exciting event.

I'm assuming the Musical guest at the Rodeo was the attraction for the player?

Who was playing?

Looks like it was the Eli Young band. I won tickets to Maroon 5 for next Thursday, March 13th. They have games on Monday and Tuesday...the forecast is predicting a lot of rain Sunday and Monday, so it's possible Monday night will be rescheduled. So we will be waiting-to-see with abated breath. LOL! I will sell tickets if they end up rescheduling to Thursday night (and would make a pretty penny too as they are great seats to a sold out concert).

And correction on the 2 other players giving up tickets...they did give up tickets but for another night. The team was originally scheduled to play at 1 and 2:45 p.m. that Tuesday...they recently rescheduled the times to 5 and 6:45 p.m. which overlaps the concert.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Yes. The rodeo is a big draw here, too. But, schools close so families can go. This young lady knew she wouldn't be at the game and would have caused me, as coach, to waste time contacting her parents and the school administration, about her disappearance.

DD had spoken to the player via phone/text. She relayed the conversation to the coaches, so the coaches knew she was okay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer