Value of a BIGGER Second Baseman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 12, 2010
We always think about putting our bigger girls at first base, because they are bigger targets and can stretch for throws. I totally agree, but feel we should think about the size of our second baseman for the same reason. Too often we put our smaller infielders at second, thinking they are quick enough to turn the double play. BUT, what happens more often in a game 1) Second baseman turning two 2) Second baseman covering first on a bunt.
Many times, I have seen pitchers and first basemen field bunts and toss them down the right field line. I can't help but think that if a bigger target was covering first that mentally the throw could have been made.
A second baseman is still going to have to have range, but just don't automatically put your smallest girls at second base.
Any thoughts?
As a side note what are the potential problems of a second baseman covering the right side of the infield in an obvious bunt situation?

Oct 18, 2009
I guess you could go with the idea that bigger is better. If you have an equally skilled fielder who is bigger and just as fast as another girl, the bigger girl might be a better candidate at 2nd. IMHO the benefits of the fielding skill and knowledge of the position is more important than a girls size at this position.

What I'd like to see is work on those girls throwing it away to make a better throw. Because even if it is a bigger girl she still may not be able to handle it if its 4 feet over her head.

Jan 15, 2009
There are a few other posts to read through on bunt defenses, but in short yes there are standard defenses that have F3 stay back and F4 field right side bunts. The danger is that a slapper or right handed push bunt that squeaks past F4 could allow a runner to score all the way from 2B becasue the ball would be in no man's land behind the infield but well short of the outfielders.

R

RayR

I love a big rangey 2B for the 1B coverage and being able to make a stong throw on the relay from the OF to 3B or home. I find that a smaller, quicker player is better suited for 3B in my defensive schemes. But, that is just the way I roll...

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My 14U 2B happens to be very small. Her quickness as a middle IF far outweighs
her 'short' comings physically. Yes an occasional throw from bunt coverage is too high for her,
but we take the cards dealt to us in tryouts. Ideally, I would like an entire team of 5'10" +.
in reality, there are not enough of these to go around at a young age

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As a former first baseman, I would add that 3rd and SS need to learn to throw. Almost universally, I never knew where the throw was going to be. Oh, course it is funny when I am on the ground one throw and in the air the next, but really, it does no good to field a ground ball and then, throw it away.

So, it would make no difference how tall anyone is. Just learn to throw.

I played with a new SS last season and she said to me "I am going to bounce the ball to you." I had never been told that before - but she was right. She bounced the ball to me.

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
Good topic, I'm in a similar diliemma but for a different reason. Our 1st baseman is 5'10" (maybe even 5'11") but we just picked up a girl that's lefty and plays a better 1st than she does. So we want to move her (the orignal 1st basemane who is righty) to 2nd base. Our current 2nd baseman is average so moving the 1st baseman to play 2nd would upgrade both positions. Ideally she isn't a perfect fit to 2nd base but I have to work with what I got (like we all do). You bring up a good point about covering 1st which would definitely be a bonus but the other advantage I saw to her height would keep more balls from going to the outfield (those line drives that are just out of the reach of your avg size 2nd baseman).

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Coach JV

My 14U DD 2B is also very small. I think you're right in that their quickness makes up for lack of height. My DD doesn't seem to have trouble with errant throws as she's been taught it's more important to stop the throw than it is to have her foot on the bag - although both are preferable. She always seems to find a way to come up with the ball on a bad throw and still get to the bag. I think her quickness compensates. It doesn't hurt that she has the highest vertical leap on the team! That being said, if they could stretch her out a couple of inches and still retain the other qualities, I'm sure her coaches would be all for it.

Jan 13, 2010
JC...I have to disagree as my 14u team as turned many legit double plays, and some in crucial game saving situations. We practice a lot making the pivot plays from balls to both second and short with every kid on the team besides the firstbasemen taking turns at second and ss. It serves as a great skill training.

BTW my 2nd base player is 5'10'' but the backup is about 5'2''...I prefer the taller player, but they have to have to speed and agility to range the full 60 feet..so it all depends on the player...the philosophy of bigger vs smaller doesn't work if the players can't make the plays, so it can work either way or not...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs