Auburn Alabama game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
The real argument, and I can't make a strong case one way or the other, is whether a play was being made (or not) if the catcher's throw was never intended to put THE runner (not an assist to put out some random runner down the line) out. I don't feel it is, but I can't fault you for thinking it is.
I understand what you mean, however I disagree. If an OF throws to the plate and the cut off catches it and relays home, I'd say the OF is still making a play on the runner.

The defense has a play on and the catcher is starting that play, so her actions are making a play on the runner.
You'd be opening up a can of worms allow batters to interfere with catchers because the throw wasn't going directly to base that the runner is going. (Think a pick off attempt at first and the runner breaks for second. Can you interfere because that throw can't directly result in the out?)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Here is the sticky point I'll bring up ... if the play was a designed cut by F4, it was not an attempt to retire the runner at second base. The NCAA rule actually doesn't specifically have the "play on a runner" verbiage, but the exception in the rule does provide a different outcome for "If the catcher is not making a play on a runner ..." I'll go with a controversial "return the runners." (Pours a drink and grabs the popcorn to watch the ensuing frenzy.)

View attachment 27841

As @jackfrost said though, NFHS and (most) travel ball, it is an immediate dead ball ... we don't get to see the outcome, so I would have interference there.

"shall not hinder" or "intentional hinder"???? Who writes this stuff?
Wouldn't it make sense that if you cannot hinder you probably cannot intentional hinder either??? I mean you would be putting the ump in a very tough spot having them try to determine players intentions. Take the play in question. Did she lose her balance or did she intentionally get in the catchers way. That was very heads up play by the catcher to ask for the play to be reviewed.

May 29, 2015
I understand what you mean, however I disagree. If an OF throws to the plate and the cut off catches it and relays home, I'd say the OF is still making a play on the runner.

The defense has a play on and the catcher is starting that play, so her actions are making a play on the runner.
You'd be opening up a can of worms allow batters to interfere with catchers because the throw wasn't going directly to base that the runner is going. (Think a pick off attempt at first and the runner breaks for second. Can you interfere because that throw can't directly result in the out?)
Like I said, I don’t have strong case one way or the other. I would say a pickoff is a very different scenario. The initial throw was meant to be a play on that runner, even if that runner broke. I don’t feel the same way about a throw that was never intended to reach the runner’s position (prior, current, or future).

May 29, 2015
"shall not hinder" or "intentional hinder"???? Who writes this stuff?
Wouldn't it make sense that if you cannot hinder you probably cannot intentional hinder either??? I mean you would be putting the ump in a very tough spot having them try to determine players intentions. Take the play in question. Did she lose her balance or did she intentionally get in the catchers way. That was very heads up play by the catcher to ask for the play to be reviewed.

Thankfully, that is why most (not all) instances of that word have been removed from most (not all) rule books.

May 19, 2021
What if it’s strike 3 on the batter and she/batter interferes with the catcher making the throw to 2nd on a steal or pick off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles