using wrist bands for pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

We are implementing wristbands for the pitchers and catchers I set up a 3# system first 2 #s are across and the 3rd # is down,(its a grid system) now the ? I have is do you have both the pitcher and catcher look at you for the #s or just the catcher to relay it back to the pitcher?(both the catcher and pitcher will have identical wristbands) I was thinking about having them both look to save on time between pitches?

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
We relay from the catcher (12U). However, keep in mind that if they are relaying from the catcher, pitcher cannot receive the signal until she is on the rubber. If its coming from the coach, I don't believe she can be on the rubber. (may need to check the rule book on that last one)

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Before the pitcher engages the rubber she and the catcher look to me for the call. they both look at their wristbands. Then they get set in position and pitch/catch.

Once your comfortable with this its pretty fast-faster than relaying to catcher then pitcher and faster than hand signs. Youll find its equal to the catcher calling as well time wise. You just have to have the number ready quickly-I stay one pitch ahead (in my head)

Umpires really seem to like the pace of the game using this in my area.

May 17, 2012
Before the pitcher engages the rubber she and the catcher look to me for the call. they both look at their wristbands. Then they get set in position and pitch/catch.

Once your comfortable with this its pretty fast-faster than relaying to catcher then pitcher and faster than hand signs. Youll find its equal to the catcher calling as well time wise. You just have to have the number ready quickly-I stay one pitch ahead (in my head)

Umpires really seem to like the pace of the game using this in my area.

This is best practice. I would only add that the pitcher still needs to simulate taking the signal from the catcher even though you have already signaled in the pitch to both.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
All she needs to do is pause once she gets on the rubber. This is a poorly written rule with the intention of not allowing the pitcher to perform what would amount to a walkthrough. Give the pitches however you wish, have her pause and you will be fine.

Jun 22, 2008
Pitcher can take the signal anywhere she likes. Once she engages the pitching plate with the hands separated she must simulate taking a signal from the catcher. In other words stand there for a moment with the hands apart looking in the general direction of the catcher.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
How'bout letting the pitcher look at her wristband and call out a number indicating to the catcher what pitch she wants to throw? It's quite appealing to me right now. I want my pitchers (18U) having more control over the pitches they are throwing. Yes, this is a change in philosophy for me, but my pitchers are excited for this.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
How'bout letting the pitcher look at her wristband and call out a number indicating to the catcher what pitch she wants to throw? It's quite appealing to me right now. I want my pitchers (18U) having more control over the pitches they are throwing. Yes, this is a change in philosophy for me, but my pitchers are excited for this.

I like your idea. Pitch calling from the field potentially can be much better than from the bench; however, I found I was much better/more effective at calling pitches as a catcher than I was at calling pitches as a pitcher (or as a coach!). As a pitcher, I felt I was better letting the catcher do the heavy lifting so that I could focus on the execution. A good catcher will soon get to know their pitchers and gain their trust and confidence and will be receptive to being shaken off occasionally before getting fully in synch. As a coach, based on prior experience, I knew I was missing approximately half of what I knew to be ascertainable from the field.

Good luck with your experiment!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30