Unraveling Pitching Frustrations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
General feedback.
At this age while physically being able to do something...
It is the growth of the executive thinking brain that will develop making the connections of responding to situations/plays better.

Some people call this
Maturing.
Not certain thats actually what it is. ...lol
There is decision-making and then there is general passiveness..sometimes the line is blurred, especially at that age.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My emotions? No. I thought we were talking about being aggressive on the field physically. To answer your question, yes I did have to do that in college. I played SS my whole career and basically was the type of player who charged a lot of balls (think Tony Fernandez for the Blue Jays back in the day...). I got moved to 2B and the first thing my coach told me was that I didn't need to do that as often playing 2B, so yes, I did learn that physically...
Talking about unraveling frustrations.

From both a passive and assertive perspective.

Jun 8, 2016
Talking about unraveling frustrations.
Ok so you were actually trying to be on topic? Lol.. :LOL: The conversation went elsewhere..at least I thought it did.

Yeah I never toned that down the emotional part which actually makes me an expert on what not doing so can do to you... 🤷‍♂️

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Pattar, I just want to acknowledge that I get what you're saying and am in almost complete agreement here (how's that for a change?). When my girls were in middle school there club basketball coach asked me how I taught my girls to be so aggressive (they always want the ball, diving for loose balls, overall generally out hustling everyone and just bringing an energy to the game whenever they were on the court)...my response to her was "I wrestled with them". Truth is we always worked on competing and giving it your all. They saw too many examples of others half-assing it and saw where that got that kid/person. Teach them how to perform and make decisions in a stressful, urgent environment and they can learn how to turn it down when they need to or when learning mechanics, etc..

Regarding the question about a pitcher keeping her composure when the D doesn't get it done behind her is also a very interesting one that continues at any level...it will happen. It's also very frustrating when in addition to pitching you are a stud outfielder and your replacement misses the plays you routinely make when not in the circle. Just an extra level of frustration to deal with and accept. Not showing that frustration is hard and takes practice, much like not having a tell on different pitches there are certain body motions (shoulder slump, touching her hair/head, etc.) that the pitcher needs to control and contain when calls or plays go south.

Jun 8, 2016
Pattar, I just want to acknowledge that I get what you're saying and am in almost complete agreement here (how's that for a change?).
I wasn't aware we disagreed a lot but then again I just assume nobody agrees with me by default.. :LOL:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Truth is we always worked on competing and giving it your all.
Yeah I probably could do a better job with this, mainly because when I was growing up it was something that evolved naturally with how kids grew up back then. Pick up football games, wiffle ball games,basketball games, etc. We competed all day,every day. Coaches and parents probably need to be a little more proactive nowadays..Gasso made a point of mentioning how competitive her practices were this year...

Jul 5, 2016
Kids aren't equally aggressive and competitive in sports and trying to change that isn't a good idea.

And, I know of a woman with twin boys one of whom is a fanatic baseball player, the other can't be bothered.

Jun 8, 2016
Kids aren't equally aggressive and competitive in sports and trying to change that isn't a good idea.

And, I know of a woman with twin boys one of whom is a fanatic baseball player, the other can't be bothered.
I don't think anybody is saying to force a kid to like a sport ..I am certainly not. Also if you have read my responses, I am in fact saying that I am not sure how much a parent/coach can do change a kid's mentality on the field/court even if they do seem to enjoy the sport (I don't think enjoying it and being aggressive/competitive/etc are necessarily perfectly correlated.)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
...the pitcher has done their job. ... with one error or play that should have been made turning into two or three or four...
As a coach I've made more trips to the circle for a DEFENSIVE conference than I have to talk about pitching to the pitcher. I try to shore up the defenders' mindsets and restore their confidence before we get to that 3rd or 4th error, and sometimes it breaks up the contagious hitting momentum of the offense before it really catches fire. If they don't respond, then you have a pretty good idea how the rest of the game will go.

Jun 8, 2016
As a coach I've made more trips to the circle for a DEFENSIVE conference than I have to talk about pitching to the pitcher. I try to shore up the defenders' mindsets and restore their confidence before we get to that 3rd or 4th error, and sometimes it breaks up the contagious hitting momentum of the offense before it really catches fire. If they don't respond, then you have a pretty good idea how the rest of the game will go.
Mound visits are criminally underutilized in TB (at least at the younger ages..)...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13