Unraveling Pitching Frustrations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
*Footnotes
I say that because
While mental errors and hestitation may not be counted as errors.
They ARE part of whats happening on the field.
Should be part of players development and coaching development strategy.

Some people are concerned with appearence.

Prefer to be commited to performance!

Jun 8, 2016
While mental errors and hestitation may not be counted as errors.
They ARE part of whats happening on the field.
Should be part of players development and coaching development strategy.
I don't know, after a certain age (not sure what that age might be 14? 15?) if you are still "hesitating" that is who you are and I am not sure there is much a coach can do other than find somebody else to play your position..How a kid got to that point may be in part to bad coaching (or parenting..) in the past and part mental makeup but it hard to coach aggressiveness into a kid past a certain age..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I don't know, after a certain age (not sure what that age might be 14? 15?) if you are still "hesitating" that is who you are and I am not sure there is much a coach can do other than find somebody else to play your position..How a kid got to that point may be in part to bad coaching (or parenting..) in the past and part mental makeup but it hard to coach aggressiveness into a kid past a certain age..
? Is that saying after a certain age players are un-coachable?

Hmmm, dont think learning and growing stops.

Definetly reviewing what ACTUALLY happened on the field helps to plan the next game, & practices.

Jun 8, 2016
? Is that saying after a certain age players are un-coachable?

Hmmm, dont think learning and growing stops.

Definetly reviewing what ACTUALLY happened on the field helps to plan the next game, & practices.
You can try, and you definitely should, but coaching what goes on in a kid's head is a lot harder than coaching mechanics...Now if a kid has had coaches which have instilled a fear of failing into a kid then perhaps that can be overcome with good coaching. If not then I am not sure what else can be done..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You can try, and you definitely should, but coaching what goes on in a kid's head is a lot harder than coaching mechanics...Now if a kid has had coaches which have instilled a fear of failing into a kid then perhaps that can be overcome with good coaching. If not then I am not sure what else can be done..
Familiar with that!
Decades of telling catchers
You have to throw it even tho no-one is there yet. And may not get there on time.
Yep, there can be a daunting mental topic,
Especially when the coach will blame the catcher...
For doing their job!

Jun 8, 2016
Familiar with that!
Decades of telling catchers
You have to throw it even tho no-one is there yet. And may not get there on time.
Yep, there can be a daunting mental topic,
Especially when the coach will blame the catcher...
For doing their job!
To be honest, and I know this might sound strange, but there is an element of wanting to show off that needs to be there. Show off my arm, show off my range, show off my skills..look at me. In basketball it is even more obvious. I am the best player on the court..I am going to take over this game, look at me. It kind of goes against how we try and raise our kids off the field but the one thing you constantly hear about the best players in any sport is there a degree of cockiness/extreme self-confidence while on the court/field...Some of that is due to their skill level but some of it is something else...

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
To be honest, and I know this might sound strange, but there is an element of wanting to show off that needs to be there. Show off my arm, show off my range, show off my skills..look at me. In basketball it is even more obvious. I am the best player on the court..I am going to take over this game, look at me. It kind of goes against how we try and raise our kids off the field but the one thing you constantly hear about the best players in any sport is there a degree of cockiness/extreme self-confidence while on the court/field...Some of that is due to their skill level but some of it is something else...

If by that, you mean the confidence to go stand in the circle for all to see you succeed for fail, I would agree. But I see a huge difference between a player that just goes out and does a great job without drama and, say, football players who do a pole dance in the end zone after scoring.

Jun 8, 2016
If by that, you mean the confidence to go stand in the circle for all to see you succeed for fail, I would agree. But I see a huge difference between a player that just goes out and does a great job without drama and, say, football players who do a pole dance in the end zone after scoring.
I am talking about Larry Bird telling his team give me the ball and get the hell out of the way, I am winning this game. Not sure how you got drama/celebrating excessively out of what I wrote other than you have an axe to grind and somehow wanted to grind it with my post... ;) There are a lot of players who celebrate in the first quarter who are no where to be found in the fourth quarter..

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
As a pitcher it’s in your best interest to not show any emotion towards negative plays by your defense. It’s frustrating for certain but you don’t call teammates out in the field.
I tell my DD’s no matter what happens act like that is exactly what you expected to happen and move on to your next pitch.
It’s ok to celebrate good plays with teammates but let the coaches take care of the physical & mental defensive mistakes.
Poor defense definitely wears on a pitcher and at times it is really tough to keep your cool when your working your butt off and the defense isn’t helping the cause.
Some things are going to just fall in, but if the result of the at bat is weak contact and/or a routine play, the pitcher has done their job. There is a defense behind them for a reason. If you are not ready to make plays on defense, why are you on the field? Isn't that also the fun part? Very few pitchers are going to go out there and rack up 10+ Ks a game. So the defense HAS to make plays and hitters HAVE to hit to win games. I, too, have seen pitchers be held accountable for poor defensive play by being removed from the circle. If she is walking multiple batters or has given up back to back to back lasers in the gap, I get making a pitching change. A ground ball that the 3B watched go by them or a soft fly ball that the CF let drop in because they couldn't be bothered to sprint. No way. But it definitely happens. And it sucks to have to score them "hits" even if they are plays that should have been made.

The thing I notice at younger ages (10U-14U), once the poor defensive play starts it often seems to become a runaway freight train, with one error or play that should have been made turning into two or three or four in the same inning, which leads to the "big inning" for your opponent and ultimately a loss.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802