Unbelievable email I opened yesterday...but in a good way!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
A parent from the other team sent me an email commending two of my players on their sportsmanship following a game in which her daughter was the losing pitcher. It just so happened that the two players are two of my pitchers, (one of who pitched against her) and they found her daughter after the game and told her they thought she did a really good job pitching.

She said that her daughter teared up that night in bed and said that what my players told her really just made her day...

These are 10 yo's...I guess SOMETHING is sinking in! But it really just made me proud...one of those kids was my DD.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
I always made my DD congratulate the opposing pitcher win or lose after the game.
One year in 12u, we faced an All-Star team that had a pretty decent pitcher, but her team was very poor and I felt so badly for the pitcher who was working so hard but not getting any help from her team. A few months later we saw the same pitcher on a different team, an travel team, and she was doing much better. My DD began calling her by her first name whenever she congratulated her. We watched her over the years turn from that frustrated little kid to a top notch pitcher.
She ended up pitching in the Big 12 conference.

With hindsight, you not only want to say, "You pitched a great game", but "You pitched a great game, keep it up, because your going to go far!"

Mar 15, 2010
Stephanie,

Congratulations on raising your DD with manners and sportsmanship. I see too little of that in players today and feel most of it comes from their parents.

Jun 25, 2009
Went to take down my net a few weeks ago and a girl from a team we had run ruled came over to the fence and said "hey coach, tell tour team they played a really good game". I told her thank you and told her to keep working on her pitching and she'd be just fine. This is 10U and we always do the hand shake after the game, but this impressed me. I told my team and I also told them things like that are what makes real winners!

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I have had a couple instances in the last couple weeks like this. I had the president of a neighboring association send me an email after a double header exhibition that he was at hosted by us. Both games were well played and both teams closely matched. He commented that parents had commented how "nice" it was to play our team (15U) as the girsl were very respectful and had some fun with some of their girls. Yesterday my DD pitched for a Tier I (comparitively what those in US call GOLD) team that she plays up for. She hit a batter and went looking for her after the game to apologize and let her know that she didn't intentiionally hit her. Parents were shocked (pleasantly) that a pitcher would go out of her way to apologize. I guess that is just the way I raised her.

Mar 13, 2010
A parent from the other team sent me an email commending two of my players on their sportsmanship following a game in which her daughter was the losing pitcher. It just so happened that the two players are two of my pitchers, (one of who pitched against her) and they found her daughter after the game and told her they thought she did a really good job pitching.

She said that her daughter teared up that night in bed and said that what my players told her really just made her day...

These are 10 yo's...I guess SOMETHING is sinking in! But it really just made me proud...one of those kids was my DD.

Classy players.
They play for a classy coach. You've taught& coached them well. GREAT JOB!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd