Umpire not calling the game by the rules and no protests

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2021
The parents aren't paying the umpires directly and are not "customers" of the umpire. A poor way of looking at it and part of the problem...

PAY AT THE PLATE !!!!

I , coach/parent, have handed many umps cash at home plate. The game sure didn't start without cash in their pocket.

That quoted comment has to be the most ridiculous winner on DFP. Wow.
50% of team fees have been to pay tournament fees.

Reactions: RJK
Jan 22, 2011
Umps are getting plenty of pay. The average now is equaling about $40 hr. There needs to be other types of support and investment.

Youth sports is about $20 billion. Lots of money going around.
I was in OKC for two days worth of games at the College World Series. Even the NCAA is running public service announcements about how in the next few years the shortage of officials is going to be impacting college athletics. They said for ever 1 new official they get, 4 are leaving the sport.

Where can I sign up to get paid $40 an hour to umpire? Maybe those folks making $20 billion off of youth sports can invest a little money into training umpires.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
PAY AT THE PLATE !!!!

I , coach/parent, have handed many umps cash at home plate. The game sure didn't start without cash in their pocket.

That quoted comment has to be the most ridiculous winner on DFP. Wow.
50% of team fees have been to pay tournament fees.
Then report the tournament director to the IRS. Or have your coach get the information of every umpire that umpires one of his games and have him send them 1099’s. Everyone who participates in “pay at the plate” games is engaging in tax fraud.

May 13, 2023
Where can I sign up to get paid $40 an hour to umpire?
Yep there is the big question...

At every game where there is an Umpire there is the opportunity for the Umpire to post an employee's wanted flyer/poster to help make this connection! Get digital and connect people to areas they would like to work in. Gig jobs have become a giant trend for income. Umpiring can fit in that category.
Screenshot_20230604-073803_Chrome.jpg
...at every softball venue would reach thousands of people across the nation. Reach out to Alliance pgf USA preps usssa Triple Crown C4 all these people that host venues can post a flyer.

Teams post flyers of their rosters to get recruited.
Post a flyer for umpires to get recruited too!

Thinking of solutions is the way to solve problems!

Reactions: RJK
Jan 22, 2011
Yep there is the big question...

At every game where there is an Umpire there is the opportunity for the Umpire to post an employee's wanted flyer to help help make this connection! Get digital and connect people to areas they would like to work in. Gig jobs have become a giant trend for income. Umpiring can fit in that category.
View attachment 28087
...at every softball venue would reach thousands of people across the nation. Reach out to Alliance pgf USA preps you triple sa Triple Crown C4 all these people that host venues can post a flyer.

Thinking of solutions is the way to solve problems!
I was being sarcastic :).

I bought a new pair of field shoes, a pair of pants, a shirt, a ball bag, and a clicker last week. $205.

I umpired 14 HS games this spring and I bet you at least 3 coaches will tell you I suck as a plate umpire, but how will I get better until I get 15-20 high school games at plate under my belt? I only did about 5 HS games behind the plate.

I show up 30 minutes before games for rec games and aim to get there 45 minutes before game time for High School games. Commute time for most HS games I did this year was 30 to 40 minutes. I had a rec league change a game to a different school and not tell me until 15 minutes before game start time.

I’m in my mid-fifties and only 3 of my partners for HS games were younger than me.

I do understand to a certain degree why pay at the plate is preferred. Maybe tournaments should send out 1099’s based upon how many games they schedule an umpire for.

I did 2 games for a league on March 18th that I haven’t been paid for. President sent me an email last Tuesday night he wanted to give the check to me in person. I replied I was out of town until Saturday night and please mail it to me. When I checked my mail last night it wasn’t there.

As I said in another post a different league insists they paid me for a game I did the 2nd weekend in April, but they haven’t. They claim their goal is pay via PayPal within “a few days” of the game, but they haven’t paid me yet for 4 games I did for them May 8th-13th. When I asked a week ago, I was told their treasurer had just gotten back from Europe and would pay me “soon”. Still waiting.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
I wouldn't say scholastic ball has "exploded," but there are more games being played than in the past in my area. When I started 10+ years ago (and longer ago than that when I played), V/JV would play back-to-back. Schools have largely decided they no longer want to play V/JV double-headers and are now scheduling them separately on different nights. Some larger schools will also have a Freshman team. So, yes, more games even at scholastic athletic levels.
How many of these JV and Freshman teams replaced rec and or travel ball? Most schools don't let you play school and some other ball during the season.

Also my point of if umpiring is so lucrative why is there no younger umps signing up and the average age so old?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jan 8, 2019
I have to say that as a coach and parent, the ONLY place I see actively recruiting for umpires/other sports officials is the NFHS, and I only get those because I was involved in HS and joined. The general public does not get those, and those emails are going out to people who are already giving a LOT of time to their sports through coaching.

Seems like the target audience should change to parents and middle-aged sports enthusiasts. Maybe hit up all the adult leagues with an endless barrage of emails. Maybe include a registration form in every case of light beer! Run a Super Bowl ad? Lol.

Not sure how it could be done, but the way we work these days is that progress in many matters does not seem to come until it becomes competitive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish