Umpire not calling the game by the rules and no protests

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
I challenged a high school coach to get his players umpiring the last week or so of the season and early in the season sent emails to three high school coaches I knew to ask their players to consider umpiring because of the shortage of rec umpires. None of the three coaches responded to my email.

Our rec league runs their season during our high school season and starts their games before high school practice is over. I’ve suggested to them multiple times they should consider a change if they want to get players involved in coaching or umpiring and no dice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Our rec league runs their season during our high school season and starts their games before high school practice is over. I’ve suggested to them multiple times they should consider a change if they want to get players involved in coaching or umpiring and no dice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know our local school let's kids get service hours for umpiring.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2021
This happens maybe 5% of the time here. More often we're wondering where the umpire is at game time.

I'd say the AVERAGE time before game that an umpire arrives -- not shows up on the field, but puts his car into park -- is 15 minutes.
Thank you. Expectations are one thing but reality is another, hence my original post about arriving an hour early being hyperbole.
I'm envious of the people who live in places that are flush with umpires who care about doing their best, but it is frustrating when I see all the good umps who post here assuming they're the norm. You're not. You're as rare as that 12-year-old who throws 60, and assuming all umps, or even most, or even more than 1 in 5 are doing even the bare minimum is as ridiculous as the people here who act like it's normal to throw 60 when you're 12 because of that one girl at Nationals.
PREACH!

I wish I could clone the guys that post here and have them ump games where I live. I have great respect for them, as their level of professionalism is miles beyond anything I see locally. That being said, yes they are guilty of viewing these issues through the lens of personal experience only. Reckon we all are to an extent.

May 29, 2015
I am neither good nor normal. Or a clone.

And a discount on leftover food, too.

I had to really laugh hard at this. I've only worked one place that does this. Heck, most places don't even give a discount on food any more. However, my son worked his first "minor league" game (local wooden bat prep league for college players) last week. He came home with two pans of burgers, hot dogs, and corn dogs. 🤣 🤣 Meanwhile, I had to pay $20 for a buffalo chicken horseshoe and a beer while watching him.

Feb 15, 2017
I am neither good nor normal. Or a clone.

I had to really laugh hard at this. I've only worked one place that does this. Heck, most places don't even give a discount on food any more. However, my son worked his first "minor league" game (local wooden bat prep league for college players) last week. He came home with two pans of burgers, hot dogs, and corn dogs. Meanwhile, I had to pay $20 for a buffalo chicken horseshoe and a beer while watching him.
The groups are pretty good in Florida in feeding you at the big events. This is my first time not working a big event here in a while, and I'm going to miss some of the Finest BBQ I've ever had.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812