Two Scoring Situations, Seen Here First

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Two situations that I've read about on this site, but didn't think I'd actually see until this weekend:

1. Coach's interference. Pop up to third, in foul territory, base coach doesn't get out of the way; stands in the coach's box. F5 runs into the coach as she's trying to catch the ball; batter is called out.

2. Lead off of third base: DD's team is the visitor, up 2 in the bottom of the 7th inning, international tiebreak in place. Two quick outs, during which the runner on 2nd reaches third on a play to first (they were going to concede the run if needed since they were up by 2). Next batter - hits a screaming line drive up the third baseline, hits the runner right in the thigh as she's about 3 steps off of third base in fair territory. Runner is out, game over. (THIS is why the runner on third should take her lead in foul territory)

Overall a very exciting weekend of softball, and the sun was actually shining - something I also didn't think I'd see this year!

And a question for all the scorekeeping experts out there: During the FIRST tiebreak inning (inning #6), the game was still tied going into the bottom of the inning, no outs. Batter hits the ball back to the pitcher. Pitcher fields it and holds it in order to hold the runner on 2nd. How is this scored?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
And a question for all the scorekeeping experts out there: During the FIRST tiebreak inning (inning #6), the game was still tied going into the bottom of the inning, no outs. Batter hits the ball back to the pitcher. Pitcher fields it and holds it in order to hold the runner on 2nd. How is this scored?

Fielder's choice.

Apr 13, 2013
T1. Coach's interference. Pop up to third, in foul territory, base coach doesn't get out of the way; stands in the coach's box. F5 runs into the coach as she's trying to catch the ball; batter is called out.

I do a good job of getting out of the way of the ball, I need to stop running over players while doing it though.

Jan 18, 2011
During the FIRST tiebreak inning (inning #6), the game was still tied going into the bottom of the inning, no outs. Batter hits the ball back to the pitcher. Pitcher fields it and holds it in order to hold the runner on 2nd.

Not questioning the scoring of the play. But what I am curious about is why the runner is still on second. (Assuming international tiebreak rules) After the pitch that runner should have a good 5 step lead or more and if it's a right handed pitcher, High probability, that makes the throw to third a tad longer than a lefty. Any decent runner should be able to get to third. What age group? Even with a hard ground ball this is going to be very close with a good throw third. I guess I'm a little aggressive with the base running.

Not questioning the scoring of the play. But what I am curious about is why the runner is still on second. (Assuming international tiebreak rules) After the pitch that runner should have a good 5 step lead or more and if it's a right handed pitcher, High probability, that makes the throw to third a tad longer than a lefty. Any decent runner should be able to get to third. What age group? Even with a hard ground ball this is going to be very close with a good throw third. I guess I'm a little aggressive with the base running.

A good ground ball to the pitcher is an easy out all day long for a pitcher who has been coached in this situation that third base is the priority.

In a normal situation you are probably correct the pitcher is thinking they need to get the out (and there is a sure out at first) but in this situation the defenses first priority is don't let runner get to third and the offense probably has don't make the first out at third as a slight higher priority than get to third so that leads to this situation. the offense is happy since they have NO outs and another runner on; the defense is happy because the runner did not advance and they now have a force play at any base.

Jan 18, 2011
Astute 14u team. Then I understand why the pitcher holds the ball keeping runner at second. This is why I asked what age group.

I am aggressive on the base running, but I've also had the luxury of having some gifted speed on the teams I've coached. Then I normally lose them to track and field, errr.

lost one to soccer once, double errr err.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl