Turning the Barrel - DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
off the top of your head, who tips and who "rocks the U?
All the 'cool' kids.
RyanKirbySDHR.gif

AGonzalezPlayoffs.gif

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2012
I was under the impression that they are two separate things. Like caberra "rocks the U" and Bautista tips the barrel.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I think that they all do both, at one time or another, as there are elements of both in both types of hand loading and sequence.

ME, I find that I tend to get reckless in my swing with to much tip and rip, If I use this method, I am selling out, and I might tend to miss hit, and slice more often.

But I believe as some might say, I think some more, early bat speed is developed.

That's just me.
Who knows how MLB players feel about it, lets ask some of them.

Another thing comes to mind, watching my dd use tip and rip, it works better on low pitches, than on high,.... for her.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Another thing comes to mind, watching my dd use tip and rip, it works better on low pitches, than on high,.... for her.

I've experienced the same thing in batting practice with my DD--the tip-n-rip works best on knees to belly pitches, not the high stuff.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I've experienced the same thing in batting practice with my DD--the tip-n-rip works best on knees to belly pitches, not the high stuff.

Fewer girls show the tip and rip pattern of MLB. Could it be because the pitch is flatter (no mound) and in many cases higher and the hitters are usually shorter. Hey, its a theory. Watch starting at 3;07

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Fewer girls show the tip and rip pattern of MLB. Could it be because the pitch is flatter (no mound) and in many cases higher and the hitters are usually shorter.

While some here disagree, I, myself, believe that the fastpitch pitch is, on average, flatter than a baseball pitch. However, I still prefer the tip-n-rip. I just stress the need to keep the hands high. I also point out to them that 9 times out of 10 when a batter misses the ball, they miss under. Therefore, muscle memory needs to be developed such that fastpitch hitters keep their hands higher than they would have them otherwise (i.e., without that focus).

I see the tip-n-rip as a more powerful swing, but they do need to lay off the higher stuff. It does make them great low and inside hitters.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Tip is style. It works well for some and does not work for others. Also, vert bat, I told IML when he was experimenting a vert bat that it didn't work out well for my dd. She was turning the barrel well behind herself, loved the feel and power of it, getting easy stretch, but her barrel was getting below the ball early, and she couldn't catch the flame throwers. We flattened out the barrel some, tightened up the tip, and turned the barrel to the ball. All I have said in the last month is "coil…..coil…..coil….snap the barrel …..snap the barrel…."and "short to…..short to…..short to!" In the last couple weeks, she has been quicker, more sudden, a 0-100mph swing….squaring up. I couldn't be happier right now.
A lot of "vertical barrel" appearance in mlb pros IMO is that…appearance. I think the angle of some of the gifs/vids make it look more vert than it really is. I have posted at one time or another some mlb swings that I believe are great examples for fast pitch girls.
JUpton_2012_side2.gif

Granderson_HR2_front.gif

Kinsler3.gif

GBrett6.gif