Insight from using the one-knee-down receiving stance.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
This post was inspired by a discussion I had in PM's with @RADcatcher about what I learned coming from a traditional catcher's stance to using the one knee down catcher's stance.

In terms of eligibility, I am academically a junior. But my playing eligibility is a sophomore. My school in the offseason got a new head coach but also a new catching coach. I would go to practice and I knew my coaches were watching what I was doing. I did pretty well using solely a traditional catcher's stance. I'm not the world's greatest framer or blocker but I've always thought my arm strength and accuracy has covered up my weaknesses...at least it has through high school and so far in college.

So, one day at practice, I got called into the coach's office and something was suggested to me. Trying the one knee down catcher's stance. I had a lot of reservations about using one knee down. My biggest reservations were blocking and how to make a quick strike to second (the longest throw for a catcher to make). I had started a thread on here after I had gotten back to my dorm room after practice stating my concerns. I'd gotten a bunch of great advice from our DFP family. But the advice that stuck with me the most was from @RADcatcher. We talked about using one knee down on the board and over PM's. I started incorporating what we had discussed at practice and eventually, I started feeling more and more comfortable using it. I also started incorporating more of what she was teaching me. I feel like I'm a better catcher for it. I really wish I had known about her and her methods when I started catching during my freshman year of high school.

Anyway, practicing with this all through the offseason during college, I've become so much more comfortable using this method of catching and it has become another tool in my toolbox. I learned that we don't start with the knee down and put the knee down when we shift toward the ball. It's a little harder moving when you're only 5'2 but I'm starting to make it look more effortless. I learned how to block more effectively and am working with some drills she sent me videos of on youtube. These made so much sense to me. I'm also learning to move faster behind the plate. I thought I was kind of fast behind the plate. But I saw where I could get faster behind the plate.

My biggest weaknesses behind the plate have to do with framing balls and leaping to get to pitches that sail way up in the zone...especially when you are only 5'2. The leaping, I'm trying to get better leaping ability by doing strength training, plyometrics, and some light parkour. I'm not sure how I'm going to work on getting better at framing pitches. I know I'm not the greatest framer in the world...but I'm serviceable about getting to pitches and trying to make them look good.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Amazing @softgabby !!!
This post was inspired by a discussion I had in PM's with @RADcatcher about what I learned coming from a traditional catcher's stance to using the one knee down catcher's stance.

In terms of eligibility, I am academically a junior. But my playing eligibility is a sophomore. My school in the offseason got a new head coach but also a new catching coach. I would go to practice and I knew my coaches were watching what I was doing. I did pretty well using solely a traditional catcher's stance. I'm not the world's greatest framer or blocker but I've always thought my arm strength and accuracy has covered up my weaknesses...at least it has through high school and so far in college.

So, one day at practice, I got called into the coach's office and something was suggested to me. Trying the one knee down catcher's stance. I had a lot of reservations about using one knee down. My biggest reservations were blocking and how to make a quick strike to second (the longest throw for a catcher to make). I had started a thread on here after I had gotten back to my dorm room after practice stating my concerns. I'd gotten a bunch of great advice from our DFP family. But the advice that stuck with me the most was from @RADcatcher. We talked about using one knee down on the board and over PM's.
I started incorporating what we had discussed at practice and eventually, I started feeling more and more comfortable using it.

👉 I also started incorporating more of what she was teaching me. I feel like I'm a better catcher for it. I really wish I had known about her and her methods when I started catching during my freshman year of high school.
Wow! Thank you!
Really it is your big effort making the difference!
🙂 was that encouraged by the training workout video?
Perhaps you can share some of what you've learned and experienced with those training methods. In hopes others can know the learning process you experienced!

Anyway, practicing with this all through the offseason during college, I've become so much more comfortable using this method of catching and it has become another tool in my toolbox.

💥I learned that we don't start with the knee down and put the knee down when we shift toward the ball. It's a little harder moving when you're only 5'2 but I'm starting to make it look more effortless. I learned how to block more effectively and am working with some drills she sent me videos of on youtube. These made so much sense to me. I'm also learning to move faster behind the plate. I thought I was kind of fast behind the plate. But I saw where I could get faster behind the plate.

My biggest weaknesses behind the plate have to do with framing balls and leaping to get to pitches that sail way up in the zone...especially when you are only 5'2. The leaping, I'm trying to get better leaping ability by doing strength training, plyometrics, and some light parkour. I'm not sure how I'm going to work on getting better at framing pitches. I know I'm not the greatest framer in the world...but I'm serviceable about getting to pitches and trying to make them look good.
@softgabby Excellent post!
Absolutely inspiring to me as a softball player & instructor that athletes like yourself are so dedicated to the position of catching and softball. To continue working on our technical nuances growing ourselves as athlete and growing the sport of softball. It is without a doubt that there will be readers and other softball players seeing your post and taking from that the encouragement to continue being a student of the game. I am inspired and encouraged by your development
@softgabby!!!

Thank you DFP for the opportunity to make connections in softball!

To be clear I do not teach purposely starting knee down. Sharing that because I believe in being ready with both legs and mobile to be explosive to get to the ball defensively.
That said, it is common for some catchers to drop a knee down as a habit in receiving lower pitches.

Knowing there are different ways for athletes to reach success. Find communicating is important to understand the reasonings why we would use certain mechanics over others and when.

The best part of this story is the willingness to grow. We must Endeavor to persevere.
*We must first want to try!

Last edited:

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Wow! Thank you!
Really it is your big effort making the difference!
🙂 was that encouraged by the training workout video?
Perhaps you can share some of what you've learned and experienced with those training methods. In hopes others can know the learning process you experienced!
Thank you so much for the info you gave me, Coach Turbo. You're one of the ones that made this transition so much easier for me. The training videos definitely helped so much and I learned so much from watching Natalya's, Ella's, and Camille's workout videos. In terms of what i learned was just how to be more explosive getting down on both knees on how to block, how to load my throw from being on both knees because I never had to make a long throw from my knees. I can make the easier throw to first from my knees and the harder throw to third from my knees because I am a lefty. It was the longer, nearly 90-foot throw to get the runner heading to second base that worried me. Watching Camille's video, I learned how to better my throwing mechanics and get a better hip load from having my tush touching my heel and calf. It was also something you told me about accuracy. That it wasn't better to aim for a spot near the bag thinking I was helping my fielder by having the ball near where the baserunner was going to acting like you were going to throw the ball through the fielder's chest. Throwing it there, I found myself actually getting the ball there better and easier. Although, my throw does need to get stronger. Sometimes I feel like the ball won't get there.

@softgabby Excellent post!
Absolutely inspiring to me as a softball player & instructor that athletes like yourself are so dedicated to the position of catching and softball. To continue working on our technical nuances growing ourselves as athlete and growing the sport of softball. It is without a doubt that there will be readers and other softball players seeing your post and taking from that the encouragement to continue being a student of the game. I am inspired and encouraged by your development
@softgabby!!!
Thank you for giving me the idea to post this, Coach Turbo. You inspired me to stick with knee down. I could have easily given up on the idea of using it. You helped me see where it could be functional. Thank you for letting me be an inspiration, coach. I love the sport. I love playing the game. I love watching the game. i also love the couple of times I've gotten to be a coach when I've been injured. Coach, you've inspired me to want to become a coach when my playing career has finally come to an end and I'm past my medical schooling and I'm finally married. I would love to get my own daughter playing softball if she wants to someday or even my own son playing baseball. But I do consider myself a student of the game. I had thought that in our next offseason, I want to work more on my framing as well as my hitting. I would like to add more tools to my offense than being more of a left-handed power hitter.

To be clear I do not teach purposely starting knee down. Sharing that because I believe in being ready with both legs and mobile to be explosive to get to the ball defensively.
That said, it is common for some catchers to drop a knee down as a habit in receiving lower pitches.

Knowing there are different ways for athletes to reach success. Find communicating is important to understand the reasonings why we would use certain mechanics over others and when.
This exactly. I very quickly realized that starting with both knees down would have never worked. It's too restricting to movement. I like to set up on the side of the plate I would like the pitcher to pitch to when she starts her motion and then drop to the knee when I see the ball won't be dropping into the dirt or if the ball will end up going above my head. But I instinctively drop to my knees when I see a pitch coming in low.

And you're absolutely right. There is no one right way to be successful playing softball. Sometimes we need to explain why we do what we do. That's the great thing about educating others. We can give them food for thought and show them another way...another tool they can add to their toolbox. Which is why I'm always looking for new things to add to my toolbox and that way I can ask questions to make myself a better catcher and a better athlete.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Enjoyed reading that. So much details I'm excited for you to be experiencing that. Appreciate you sharing that on the website as it will reach other people in softball. Super neat to read you wanting to coach others inspired to continue growing softball. It's amazing what softball can do good for you @softgabby
Excellent mindset and determination!

Yes I remember we talked about throwing threw the bag. Generating that energy/speed so that the ball is to go all the way through the target we're aiming at.
Not just throw it to a spot where the energy stops,
but throw it threw the spot! (Firing threw pitchers chest and threw 2nd)
Good for you!
By the way it is okay to throw it at the knee a location at the bag. As long as it has the energy to keep going through the spot you're throwing to!
ZAP!

Last edited:

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Enjoyed reading that. So much details I'm excited for you to be experiencing that. Appreciate you sharing that on the website as it will reach other people in softball. Super neat to read you wanting to coach others inspired to continue growing softball. It's amazing what softball can do good for you @softgabby
Excellent mindset and determination!

Yes I remember we talked about throwing threw the bag. Generating that energy/speed so that the ball is to go all the way through the target we're aiming at.
Not just throw it to a spot where the energy stops,
but throw it threw the spot! (Firing threw pitchers chest and threw 2nd)
Good for you!
By the way it is okay to throw it at the knee a location at the bag. As long as it has the energy to keep going through the spot you're throwing to!
ZAP!
Thank you so much for your kind words, coach. I did want to go into better detail on what was working and what wasn't. I do hope someone going through the same thing can read my journey and learn from my mistakes. I would love to go into coaching if I possibly can. I'd love to help coach up a new catcher beast and have another girl or guy be a game-changer behind the plate.

I figured you'd remember the conversation I was referring to, coach. I think I like trying to throw through the fielder better than trying to throw to a spot. But with the throwing drill, you showed in the Camille vid, I noticed my velocity started going up when I changed my release point and the angle I'm throwing at. Throwing with the ball closer to my head has made so much of a difference. I really hadn't noticed much difference at first. I thought I was seeing the ball getting to second a little quicker than it had been. I asked for one of the coaches to use a radar gun to see how fast I was throwing. I started out throwing around 50 mph. I'm now throwing regularly around 55-58 mph. I'd like to get to throwing around 60 if I possibly can. But our second baseman is now saying about how much faster and stronger my throws are coming in. She likes that my throws have some stuff to it and she needs to get quicker to get to the balls I'm throwing down to second.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thank you so much for your kind words, coach. I did want to go into better detail on what was working and what wasn't. I do hope someone going through the same thing can read my journey and learn from my *mistakes.
*Learn from your experience growing skill sets!

I would love to go into coaching if I possibly can. I'd love to help coach up a new catcher beast and have another girl or guy be a game-changer behind the plate.

I figured you'd remember the conversation I was referring to, coach. I think I like trying to throw through the fielder better than trying to throw to a spot. But with the throwing drill, you showed in the Camille vid, I noticed my velocity started going up when I changed my release point and the angle I'm throwing at. Throwing with the ball closer to my head has made so much of a difference. I really hadn't noticed much difference at first. I thought I was seeing the ball getting to second a little quicker than it had been. I asked for one of the coaches to use a radar gun to see how fast I was throwing. I started out throwing around 50 mph. I'm now throwing regularly around 55-58 mph. I'd like to get to throwing around 60 if I possibly can. But our second baseman is now saying about how much faster and stronger my throws are coming in. She likes that my throws have some stuff to it and she needs to get quicker to get to the balls I'm throwing down to second.
Excellent feedback with details! (Again🙂👍)
Awesome to read you have increased your throwing speed as well.
*Reminder you can always send me video can help pinpoint some other technical nuances to share!

@softgabby Keep The Spirit Going!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
For framing, keep working on your arm, shoulder, and core strength. When my DD was doing regular gym work, I saw a improvement in her ability to freeze the location of where she caught the ball because her structure behind the mitt was stronger. I'm not a fan of trying to move the ball into the strike zone. Don't try to fool the umpire. They generally find that insulting. Let balls be balls, but keep all the strikes looking like strikes.

Some catching instructors teach a lot of body movement to get behind the ball. Sometimes, this can actually get in the way of the umpire being able to see the pitch. My DD has had a lot of positive comments from umpires about how quiet her body is when she's receiving. Her physical strength is a big part of that. Of course, it helps when pitchers actually hit their spot ;)

Keep up the great work @softgabby! Your hard work is commendable, but it is your ability to self-analyze and understand the what/why that will help you become a good instructor. Thanks for continuing to share your journey.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
For framing, keep working on your arm, shoulder, and core strength. When my DD was doing regular gym work, I saw a improvement in her ability to freeze the location of where she caught the ball because her structure behind the mitt was stronger. I'm not a fan of trying to move the ball into the strike zone. Don't try to fool the umpire. They generally find that insulting. Let balls be balls, but keep all the strikes looking like strikes.

Some catching instructors teach a lot of body movement to get behind the ball. Sometimes, this can actually get in the way of the umpire being able to see the pitch. My DD has had a lot of positive comments from umpires about how quiet her body is when she's receiving. Her physical strength is a big part of that. Of course, it helps when pitchers actually hit their spot ;)

Keep up the great work @softgabby! Your hard work is commendable, but it is your ability to self-analyze and understand the what/why that will help you become a good instructor. Thanks for continuing to share your journey.
Thank you so much for this, Eric. I noticed I received and framed better when I worked out with some of the football team. Working out with them forced me to become tougher and power through with getting stronger. When the pandemic hit and we did virtual schooling, I noticed the difference because I couldn't keep up with strength training. I did keep doing workouts to keep my core strong, though which I think helps me be a better power hitter. When I was working out with the football team, I could sit in my stance and catch balls and my hand and arm wouldn't move. Now that I've gotten away from doing that, I notice I don't have the same snap-to movement and I have more movement after catching the ball. Maybe I need to get back to working out with some of the football team again :LOL:.

I really don't like to move a whole lot once I'm set. The only times I'll move after I call the signs are to move to which side of the plate I want to target and to go up or down. Beyond that, I don't move. I actually have a strong core and I have strong legs. It's my upper body strength I really need to work on. I have a decently strong chest but I'm not so strong in my arms and hands. I don't have great grip strength. When I'm at home, I have a hard time getting jars and bottles open when I'm cooking. A big joke around our house is when I'm trying to open a jar of pickles or a jar of sauerkraut. I'm not exactly sure how to work on getting stronger in that aspect.

Thank you so much for the kind words, Eric. I do like to work hard but I also play harder. :LOL:But i do like to work the analytical side of my brain. I think that helps make me a more dangerous player.The fact I analyze what I'm doing and look for ways to better myself. Next offseason, I really want to work harder on my framing, strength, and working on my small ball game. I kinda feel like I can become a more dangerous hitter if I can drop balls short into the outfield between the infield and the outfield hitting more singles and doubles and using that along with being a power hitter. If I could be like a .450-.550 hitter, I think that could really help the team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2