Tryouts Q&A for coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
When should you ask, or should you ever ask a coach about coaching philosophy, team expectations and guidelines... Before attending tryouts? After your DD is offered a spot? Never? My DH and I cannot seem to agree on this. So some outside feedback is welcomed.

Jun 24, 2013
I will admit I have a different philosophy then a lot of coaches, not all. It is an important question for me to get answered.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Good coaches will provide coaching philosophy, team expectations, and goals before tryouts. Most teams in GA post some of this information in their advertisements. During tryouts our coaches have a Q&A session with the parents while the girls are warming up.

Jul 6, 2013
Good coaches will provide coaching philosophy, team expectations, and goals before tryouts. Most teams in GA post some of this information in their advertisements. During tryouts our coaches have a Q&A session with the parents while the girls are warming up.

I agree 110%...I try to introduce myself, explain how I coach, how I choose a team, why I select girls for certain positions, how much we'll practice, how much we'll play, expected costs and anything else I can think of. After that, I'll see who has questions. Every tryout I've attended has been the same way as well. I'd be leery of a coach who isn't upfront about all of this BEFORE you make a decision about whether you'll accept an invitation to play, if offered.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
I feel like I am over thinking and over analyzing the whole process. I can't even imagine what parents go through when choosing a college. Maybe it gets easier the more tryouts you attend. It seems as though around here the less you say as a parent the better off your DD is. I think we should feel confident and comfortable asking questions instead of thinking did we say too much, did that sound like I wanted it too, was I the reason she didn't make the cut...

Dec 7, 2011
If your DD is a pitcher MAKE SURE and find out the pitch calling philosophy before tryouts even.

I have been shocked by the pitch calling that can be totally opposite your DD's strength and also shocked by apparently "seasoned" coaches calling pitches like a 10u-12u coach in the 16u-18u ranks (meaning all fastballs when DD has huge other pitch weapons). You wanna have a bad season in TB => have your usual 10-15K's a game pitching DD get into the better batters of TB and get restricted to just fastballs..... Eh Eh,...not gonna fly

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
As a coach I would want to discuss this prior to tryouts. I would rather only have to deal with the kids whose parents are on board with the direction the team is going. If you run into a coach who does not want to discuss this, its because he has no idea himself and his main philosophy is probably to make sure that his little Suzy gets to pitch and play ss

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207