Trouble with Change-up.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 11, 2009
I, a pitcher myself, frequently have trouble with my change-up. I have a hard time slowing it down, and keeping it low. Most times, my changeup does stay low, but my coach is always saying, to slow it down, slow it down, slow it down. Any other way to slow this down? (i am throwing the circle-change.)
Thanks.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
How old are you? Hopefully, the coach is demonstrating it for you.

You have to keep the ball in your hand longer - and you have to practice a lot. My release point is a bit higher and my landing leg is a bit straighter. But, it is hard to describe to you what "bits" are. They are not a noticeable difference from a fastball, but I would just keep showing it to you, until it clicks.

Start at a short distance until you get some positive feedback.

Film yourself and see if you are doing what you mean to do.

Aug 11, 2009
13, and yes he is.

And isnt it, that you dont snap your wrist, because that will add speed to the ball?
I've been working on it, and it seems to be getting better.
Thanks.
Any more responces?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What kind of change up are you throwing?

There are several different ways to throw it, and some pitchers are better at one method than the other.

The most common is the back hand changeup, where the back of your hand is pointing toward the catcher at release.

Another method is placing the ball in your palm, but holding the ball with your pinkie and thumb. The other fingers don't touch the ball.

There is the "knuckle change", where you hold the ball with your fingertips and the tip of your thumb.

You also have to practice hiding the grip. Do *NOT* fix your grip with the ball on your hip. Do it in your glove so the batter can't see it.

Aug 11, 2009
Circle Change.

Yes, i begin with the footdrag, across the mound, and start into my motion. Usually while in my motion, i begin to get my changeup grip.(i find it easiest to hide it this way)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A change up is something unique for each pitcher. There is a standard way to throw a rise, screw, drop, curve or fastball. There is no standard way to throw a change.

In the end, *you* have to play with different grips and different releases until you figure it out. I've never seen two people throw the change the same way. There is always some adjustments the pitcher makes in the grip, release or body to make it work.

Here are some links for you to review:

Teaching_the_Change_Up_in_Fastpitch_Softball

how to throw a change

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Sluggers is definitely right on this. There are lots of ways to throw a changeup, so we'd really need to know exactly what you do now to offer much in the way of valuable advice.

I will say I watched both of the clips and I don't teach the change like any of the ones demonstrated here. I'm sure they're effective, and so are the two versions I teach. But what I teach might be totally against what you're trying to do, and thus advice will make you worse, not better.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Sluggers is definitely right on this. There are lots of ways to throw a changeup, so we'd really need to know exactly what you do now to offer much in the way of valuable advice.

I will say I watched both of the clips and I don't teach the change like any of the ones demonstrated here. I'm sure they're effective, and so are the two versions I teach. But what I teach might be totally against what you're trying to do, and thus advice will make you worse, not better.

What do you teach?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd