Travel ball high school balance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
We practice with our travel team starting in January until high school season starts in March. Our org plays one tournament in AZ in January but we send 1 team per age group instead of the 4 per age group that we have because it is not mandatory and the basketball players and others for other reason do not go. We are 16u so we go dark until after high school season. In the past we have started with show me the money in Florida but last year we had a hard time finding enough girls because we had a lot of girls still in the high school play offs so this year we start in mid June at top gun in KC. Then a friendly, the IDT, the Easton in Chicago and PGF. They will be off from PGF until Labor Day and then play a PGF qualifier before the recruiting season opens and then depending on how many 25s we need to commit will play 3-6 of the 6 weeks of the recruiting window which ends the weekend before thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 17, 2019
I don’t have any issues with taking breaks but comparing it to professional athletes is flawed imo. MLB for example are at the ball field for (at least) 6 to 8 hours a day, 6 days a week from Feb -Oct nvm all the airplane trips,etc.

I think comparing kids to mlb players is unfair too, after all they get paid millions. I think you’re leaving out, teenagers are in school 8+ hours a day and at least here they are up and headed to school before most adults are even out of bed, not to mention homework.

Jun 8, 2016
I think comparing kids to mlb players is unfair too, after all they get paid millions. I think you’re leaving out, teenagers are in school 8+ hours a day and at least here they are up and headed to school before most adults are even out of bed, not to mention homework.
Right and if we are talking about mental things, playing ball should be a welcome break from school. If it isn’t then maybe the kid shouldn’t be playing to begin with.

Like I said breaks are good and teams shouldn’t be playing all year round, but hitting and fielding 2 or 3 times a week for an hour each time for 50 weeks a year leaves plenty of time for other things including sticking your face in a phone for 6 hours a day..From a physical perspective that sort of work isn’t overly taxing on the body of a teenager..if it is then there are other issues.

The great thing about TB is you can always find another team which better suits you and your DD’s needs 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
Right and if we are talking about mental things, playing ball should be a welcome break from school. If it isn’t then maybe the kid shouldn’t be playing to begin with.

Like I said breaks are good and teams shouldn’t be playing all year round, but hitting and fielding 2 or 3 times a week for an hour each time for 50 weeks a year leaves plenty of time for other things including sticking your face in a phone for 6 hours a day..

The great thing about TB is you can always find another team which better suits you and your DD’s needs 🤷🏽‍♂️

Ha don’t get me started on phones! I agree hitting or whatever for an hour isn’t a big deal, but I don’t know any teams that practice for an hour.

Jun 8, 2016
Ha don’t get me started on phones! I agree hitting or whatever for an hour isn’t a big deal, but I don’t know any teams that practice for an hour.
I was talking about on their own or with a parent/instructor. DD’s team has been hitting once a week in Dec (for those that can make it) for 1.5 hours. DD looks forward to it as she doesn’t get to see her friends (eg teammates) otherwise.

I can usually tell when my kid needs a mental break from doing work outside of team stuff and when it happens she will take a break. Usually (despite me being a PITA at times) after a week of that she will ask when are we going to hit again..

In terms of her team (2nd year 14u) school ball is Aug through mid Oct here in OK so they go silent then. They also took all of Nov off. They will get some time off around Christmas and New Years and then start back up mid Jan. Tournaments will start back up in March and will go through the end of July. The schedule is backloaded with only 1 or 2 a month until June. For now (she is in 7th grade) she also plays AAU bball so she is busy..which for now she seems fine with.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Isn’t it sad that we ask middle and high school kids to put more time into their sport than a college athlete?
While I definitely get what you’re saying, and there’s been times I’ve felt the same way…..

Absolutely NO comparison, college ball was a 38/40 hour a week job!

Oct 26, 2019
While I definitely get what you’re saying, and there’s been times I’ve felt the same way…..

Absolutely NO comparison, college ball was a 38/40 hour a week job!
I should have worded it differently. I felt like I had more free time as a college athlete than I did in high school between sports and schoolwork. There are also rules in place limiting how much a college athlete can do. Those rules are in place to protect the athlete. Travel has no rules.

In season, they are limited to 20 hours of practice/competition a week and out of season 8 hours. They also require one day off a week.

In contrast, most players around here will have middle school practice for 2 hours a day Monday - Friday and then they will leave that practice and go to their travel practice for another 1.5 - 2 hours. If they have a tournament that weekend then you are looking at a 14 - 16 hour weekend. That is ZERO days off for the week and approx 28 - 30 hours for the week….for 3 seasons.

Now before anyone tells me how wrong I am - this is just my opinion based on personal experience with both. The college baseball season is grueling no doubt about it, but I had days off and off seasons. Most travel players don’t know what an “off-season” is. I was also an adult.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I should have worded it differently. I felt like I had more free time as a college athlete than I did in high school between sports and schoolwork. There are also rules in place limiting how much a college athlete can do. Those rules are in place to protect the athlete. Travel has no rules.

In season, they are limited to 20 hours of practice/competition a week and out of season 8 hours. They also require one day off a week.

In contrast, most players around here will have middle school practice for 2 hours a day Monday - Friday and then they will leave that practice and go to their travel practice for another 1.5 - 2 hours. If they have a tournament that weekend then you are looking at a 14 - 16 hour weekend. That is ZERO days off for the week and approx 28 - 30 hours for the week….for 3 seasons.

Now before anyone tells me how wrong I am - this is just my opinion based on personal experience with both. The college baseball season is grueling no doubt about it, but I had days off and off seasons. Most travel players don’t know what an “off-season” is. I was also an adult.
Well maybe I should have clarified our experience also, there was a set limited amount of hours for Anna’s college team, only her HC didn’t follow them, it was her way only! Was told of several times that the AD showed up to talk about time on the field, conditioning, and weight training and she ignored all warnings and did what she wanted to do!

Oct 26, 2019
Well maybe I should have clarified our experience also, there was a set limited amount of hours for Anna’s college team, only her HC didn’t follow them, it was her way only! Was told of several times that the AD showed up to talk about time on the field, conditioning, and weight training and she ignored all warnings and did what she wanted to do!
I understand that experience also. There are some things that don’t count in the hours also and ways coaches “get around” it. Every coach and program is a little different. Unfortunately, what’s best for the players isn’t always the top priority.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles