tough coaching decision - time limit game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
What would you do? Down 2-0 in bottom of 5. First two batters (8 and 9 hitters) are out. Bases empty. #1 batter steps to the plate with a mere 50 seconds remaining. it's not a drop dead time limit so if you start an inning, you finish an inning. Do you let your number 1 hitter try to start a 2 out, 2 run rally, or do you have her step on the plate, make contact with the ball (for an out) so that there is time to play one more inning? An ASA/USA berth to the winning team. Just curious. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

For the record, #1 hitter hit a solid single up the middle. #2 hitter was hit by a pitch. Runners advanced to 2 and 3 on a wild pitch. And then a groundout ended the game. Doesn't mean that the strategy was wrong. It's just what happened.

Jun 7, 2013
I usually just play it out. For me #1 would hit and we would hope to score at least two runs. I've seen these manipulations backfire so many times that I try to stay clear of it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Another inning means another chance for the other team to put the game even further out of reach.

Not being there, I'd have to base my option on "how they scored the two". Next I would want to know where they would be in the batting order if we go another inning. If by chance they would be bringing up the bottom, facing my top, I'd go for a quick out and take my chances.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
What would you do? Down 2-0 in bottom of 5. First two batters (8 and 9 hitters) are out. Bases empty. #1 batter steps to the plate with a mere 50 seconds remaining. it's not a drop dead time limit so if you start an inning, you finish an inning. Do you let your number 1 hitter try to start a 2 out, 2 run rally, or do you have her step on the plate, make contact with the ball (for an out) so that there is time to play one more inning? An ASA/USA berth to the winning team. Just curious. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

For the record, #1 hitter hit a solid single up the middle. #2 hitter was hit by a pitch. Runners advanced to 2 and 3 on a wild pitch. And then a groundout ended the game. Doesn't mean that the strategy was wrong. It's just what happened.

FWIW - I would have done exactly what you did. It is more important to me that my #1 hitter KNOWS I have confidence in her ability to start a 2-out rally.

Sep 18, 2011
FWIW - I would have done exactly what you did. It is more important to me that my #1 hitter KNOWS I have confidence in her ability to start a 2-out rally.

Oops. i should have made that clear. I'm not qualified to coach an 8U rec team. I'm only a parent. My DD was the one who hit the single. For me it's just an interesting discussion. I really don't know what I would have done, but ultimately we had the tying run on second with our number 3 hitter at the plate. Not sure you could ask for much more under the circumstances. Tough loss as we had beaten them 3-1 in the semifinals, but they won a couple in the loser's bracket and we had to meet again.

GD - sorry I don't know where the other team was in their batting order. Numbers 1-5 in their lneup were really wearing us out. They scored their 2 runs on a 2 out, 2 run double with the second run scoring due to a throwing error.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Would not have her step on plate and make contact with the ball. Have her step across plate when pitcher breaks her hands. Dead ball and out no contact needed. Play the percentages and go to another inning. I will take my 2 - 6 with no outs over lead off with 2 outs.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
My initial tendency is to say let the girls hit and take your chances. Especially if they are in the younger age bracket. But then, I hate time limits and I hate some of the things people do to manipulate them - such as the coach who decides to call a conference in the circle with two minutes remaining.

There are always exceptions though. If I really disliked the other team and thought I could win I might have the hitter make an intentional out. :) With an older team I might be more tempted as well to get that bid. But ultimately, if you're coaching for the girls, you let them decide the game with their performance.

I'd say your team learned a little something about themselves, and they may be even more confident the next time they're in a tight situation.

Mar 28, 2013
You are right about not having a clear best choice. but the overwhelming tie breaker for me was you are stepping up to the plate with 50 seconds in the game, by the time that first pitch is delivered and called it will be very close. There is now way I would trust Blue to not have him raise his hands and announce game over.I've had this happen with way more time on the clock and the inning ended with no interesting moves. Protest till you are blue in the face,(no pun intended):p you wont get your shot. your coach played it right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44