Tiny Pitchers Get No Love

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
I would say for most college coaches it is just as much about your ceiling as anything else. Everyone wants speed that is just the way it is, weather than is running, overhand throw, or pitching.

Sep 18, 2023
Here's a good example that happened yesterday. Had our first middle school game of the season Tuesday. We have had completely new middle school coaches ever year for the past 4 years. At the game, Coach decides to sit out my DD and start with our other pitcher who is bigger and throws a little faster in practice (maybe 3 or 4 mph on average). The other girl gets up and walks 7 batters the first inning and gives up 5 runs. Second inning he puts her back in and she walks 3 more. At that point he brings in my DD who shuts down the inning with no walks and no runs. My DD goes on to pitch the next 4 innings and finish the game (only walks 1 batter). We ultimately lost because we were too far behind after the first inning to catch up. The other girl threw 66 pitches over basically 1.5 inning. My DD only had to throw 42 pitches over 4 innings. The crazy thing is, I think the coach is going to do the same thing at our next game Thursday and have the other girl start again.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
whenever she joins a new team, she usually begins the season on the bench. It's not until a few games later that the coaches realize how good she does and then she slowly begins to replace the current starting/bracket pitcher.
This is a common thing.
Not everybody gets to be on a new team and be a starter.

Hopefully you will be able settle down and recognize its Middle School softball and the coach has to figure out what they have.
( also keep in mind that some coaches/teams are more about developing players than they are about just going out and winning...some of the schedule maybe preseason and defining who's starting nine will come later)

How long have the other pitchers already been on the team?

Ps. From what you commented your daughter is getting the opportunity to Play *and Pitch. Do not think this is about the size of person she is. Simply because she is getting opportunity!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
This is a common thing.
Not everybody gets to be on a new team and be a starter.

Hopefully you will be able settle down and recognize its Middle School softball and the coach has to figure out what they have.
( also keep in mind that some coaches/teams are more about developing players than they are about just going out and winning...some of the schedule maybe preseason and defining who's starting nine will come later)

How long have the other pitchers already been on the team?

Ps. From what you commented your daughter is getting the opportunity to Play *and Pitch. Do not think this is about the size of person she is. Simply because she is getting opportunity!
I would add, if you go to a team and start off as the top pitcher you went to the wrong team.

Sep 18, 2023
Ohhh like that comment!

Perhaps it will stimulate some big discussion!!!
I see the value in this statement. Honestly, it doesn't even bother me if my DD is sitting out because the other pitchers truly are better on the team (that has been the case before ).The frustration is when a "Big" pitcher gets way more mound time but just absolutely tanks game after game costing the team wins. Someone else mentioned a quote along the lines of "small players have to prove their good while big players have to prove they aren't". That's the part I hate.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I see the value in this statement. Honestly, it doesn't even bother me if my DD is sitting out because the other pitchers truly are better on the team (that has been the case before ).The frustration is when a "Big" pitcher gets way more mound time but just absolutely tanks game after game costing the team wins. Someone else mentioned a quote along the lines of "small players have to prove their good while big players have to prove they aren't". That's the part I hate.
regardless of their size they both have to prove their value.

From your title it's peculiar that you haven't mentioned your daughter's size. Not trying to be snarky, pardon the blunt pointing that out, but it's something I've noticed has been left out.

How many other players on the team are your same daughter's size or smaller?

Sep 18, 2023
regardless of their size they both have to prove their value.

From your title it's peculiar that you haven't mentioned your daughter's size. Not trying to be snarky pardon the blunt pointing that out but it's something I've noticed has been left out.

How many other players on the team are your same daughter's size or smaller?
Tiny is relative to age and I didn't want to limit the post to only my daughter but all parents that may have smaller players for their age division. My DD is 5'2" 95 lbs. Other pitcher on team is around 5'5" 125lbs. Age division is 14u.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atilbury