Time to move on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The problem she has most I think is lesving her coach. Coach knows we’re looking because she made it awkward awhile back by asking who was staying/leaving. I told her would finish out our commitment and then test the waters. I tend to overthink things and don’t want to be the crazy dad always jumping team to team. I also want dd’s hard work to payoff for her. Thanks.

Too late, every softball dad is a "Crazy Daddy".

No one will think the worse for you for moving at 12U. Your DD fulfilled her commitment--you didn't leave the team in a lurch.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
If the coach played college ball then she knows that players come and go. My main question though is what are your daughters goals? If she gets frustrated bc the other girls arent at a higher level for what yall are playing then you should definitely leave. But if she really enjoys the coach and just wants to have fun out there, then thats something you should probably decide together. If your daughter would rather stay, is there a possibility of talking with the coach, letting her know your frustrations, and helping to recruit some higher caliber players?

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
Sounds like making a move is the right decision. When DD was moving up to 12's we were with a team that was full of her friends but the overall team desire was to play at a level just north of rec ball. It was a tough decision to move because of the friendships that had been made but DD wasn't being challenged and she wasn't getting better (didn't need to improve to compete and be one of the best of the team). We made the move and I saw a different side of DD. Her competitive spirit amplified because she wanted to be the best on her new team full of great ball players. If you were to ask DD, she'd tell you making the move is the best decision we/she made. Good luck!

Dec 5, 2017
If the coach played college ball then she knows that players come and go. My main question though is what are your daughters goals? If she gets frustrated bc the other girls arent at a higher level for what yall are playing then you should definitely leave. But if she really enjoys the coach and just wants to have fun out there, then thats something you should probably decide together. If your daughter would rather stay, is there a possibility of talking with the coach, letting her know your frustrations, and helping to recruit some higher caliber players?

[/QUOTE

Dd gets frustrated for sure. She has known the other parents for several years snc ghat is part of the problem. No accountability for missing practices, showing up late as nc n lack of improvement. The girls will play regardless and no one is getting cut, just replacing 3 that didn’t age up or left.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Dd gets frustrated for sure. She has known the other parents for several years snc ghat is part of the problem. No accountability for missing practices, showing up late as nc n lack of improvement. The girls will play regardless and no one is getting cut, just replacing 3 that didn’t age up or left.

Yeah definitely sounds like its time to go then. Good luck with the search. At least you're doing it at the perfect time.

May 23, 2015
That's the coaches fault no the players. If I'm on the field you're on the field

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
My youngest DD is a soccer player. She was playing AYSO Extra and loved the team and most of the teammates. But with it being volunteer coached and basically just a step above rec she was not developing at all. She was reluctant to try out for club soccer but once she saw it played at a much higher level with much better training she was happy to change things up.

If your DD is serious (as serious as an 11 year old can be) about softball hopefully she will understand your reasons for wanting to look elsewhere.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If improving and a player is important to her, find another team.
If she's doing it to socialize and hang out with friends there is a lot to be said about a drama free parent/player group even you lose a lot of games.

Sep 19, 2018
"It is her Journey" is something that is said here a lot. I totally agree. But we are talking about an 11 year old in this case? So, we sometimes Mom and or Dad know better. Sometimes.

Last year, at 10 years old, I let my DD choose her Journey, knowing it was the wrong thing to do. It was only a fall commitment. Her very first practice she asked if it was too late to change her mind. "ahhhhhh, yes it is."

I don't regret letting her choose though. It was a lesson she learned for herself. More importantly, if I chose and she wasn't happy, I never would have heard the end of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish