Time to move on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2017
I’ll tty and keep it as short as possible, no promises. Our season ended as nd I’m ready to move on. Dd is too but not quite as much as me maybe. We love the head coach, she’s s knowledgeable former D1 player . Our big mistake was not seeing the rest of the team before joining last year. We basically had a 10u rec team with 3 legit travel players, that’s the best way I know to describe it. One of the 3 was our #1 pitcher and she has now moved on. That leaves dd and another girl moving into 12u on a bad team. Coach is only filling spots and not cutting anyone. I hate to sound harsh by referring to the team as bad but it really is. Girls are still learning to throw and catch properly at 11 yo. We give up outs at first because girls can’t throw from 2nd or pitching circle to 1. After the top 4 hitters the team hits 250 and lower against average pitching. I see no improvement in this team after a year and I cannot watch another season of it. Do I make the decision at this point, 11u technically, or let dd? She loves the coach and likes a few of the girls a lot. Great parents as far as no drama but some them treat this like it’s 8u rec ball- miss a lot of practice and don’t put in work at home. Dd works her tail off at home, we usually put in 2-3 days on our own. Am I too cynical to expect more of a “travel” team? I feel like dd works too hard to stay on this caliber of team. She may not be an A level player but being a big fish in a little pond won’t help her get there.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I think you know the answer. You want more from the team that they can offer. We have been on several teams like this. You can be loyal to a point, but what is the point? Thank the coach for her time, energy and the opportunity to play. The team is no longer a good fit. You will see these kids, coaches and families down the road for years to come. Be cool like Fonzie and don't make it weird. There is turnover on teams and is expected.

Dec 5, 2017
I think you know the answer. You want more from the team that they can offer. We have been on several teams like this. You can be loyal to a point, but what is the point? Thank the coach for her time, energy and the opportunity to play. The team is no longer a good fit. You will see these kids, coaches and families down the road for years to come. Be cool like Fonzie and don't make it weird. There is turnover on teams and is expected.

I guess I’m looking for reassurance that I need to push dd in that direction even if she’s reluctant. She says she wants to go to some tryouts but she also looks unhappy d we’dhen we talk about it.

Jul 27, 2015
I guess I’m looking for reassurance that I need to push dd in that direction even if she’s reluctant. She says she wants to go to some tryouts but she also looks unhappy d we’dhen we talk about it.

18u daughter so we have been around. There were two times where my wife and I stepped in and said "you are switching teams next fall." We told her why. She was 100% against it the first time. She was leaving friends and thought all was well. Within a month or two on the new team when she was being pushed like never before, she said we made the correct decision.

The second time we told her, she was on board.

In both cases, we looked for new teams that were a step up and that we approved of, then let her pick the team so she had some say in the matter.

Now my daughter wanted to play in college, so it was easy for us to use that as a measuring board. If my daughter was just playing to have fun, then we might have acted differently.

Dec 5, 2017
18u daughter so we have been around. There were two times where my wife and I stepped in and said "you are switching teams next fall." We told her why. She was 100% against it the first time. She was leaving friends and thought all was well. Within a month or two on the new team when she was being pushed like never before, she said we made the correct decision.

The second time we told her, she was on board.

In both cases, we looked for new teams that were a step up and that we approved of, then let her pick the team so she had some say in the matter.

Now my daughter wanted to play in college, so it was easy for us to use that as a measuring board. If my daughter was just playing to have fun, then we might have acted differently.
Thanks for the input, good to hear from those that have been around.

Mar 8, 2016
DD was in the exactly same spot you are in now except it was 2nd year 12u. She did not want to switch teams. The team you described could have been hers. She got an invite to practice with a really good team. I forced her to go but told her it was her choice. 5 minutes into practice she had forgotten about her old team and was excited to be with girls who could all play ball. 15 minutes into practice the HC called dd and I over and offered her a spot. She said she wanted it immediately. Best decision she ever made. It started her down the path that has her headed off to play softball in college in a few weeks. There is no way she would be were she is today without that decision.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is nothing wrong with what the coach is doing. The team doesn't meet the needs of your DD. It is that simple.

If your DD wants to play softball in college, you have to get used to changing teams. It is just part of it. Don't burn any bridges. Just say, "I've found a team that is a better fit. Thanks for all of your hard work and helping my DD."

This sounds harsh, but really your DD will learn to treat her softball friends like you do your work buddies. Honestly...she should make friends outside of softball to hang out with.

Dec 5, 2017
There is nothing wrong with what the coach is doing. The team doesn't meet the needs of your DD. It is that simple.

If your DD wants to play softball in college, you have to get used to changing teams. It is just part of it. Don't burn any bridges. Just say, "I've found a team that is a better fit. Thanks for all of your hard work and helping my DD."

This sounds harsh, but really your DD will learn to treat her softball friends like you do your work buddies. Honestly...she should make friends outside of softball to hang out with.
The problem she has most I think is lesving her coach. Coach knows we’re looking because she made it awkward awhile back by asking who was staying/leaving. I told her would finish out our commitment and then test the waters. I tend to overthink things and don’t want to be the crazy dad always jumping team to team. I also want dd’s hard work to payoff for her. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA